icon

Power Cap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjul45 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2farad power Acoustik CAP it does not say anything about slow charging it, do I need to slow Charge it? How do I slow charge it? Where dose the resistor go? I do not see a spot for it.
3cc_installer 
Copper - Posts: 43
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
no slow charge needed.  just hook it up and you're done.  Caps are way over rated anyway.  were you having a power problem before you got the cap?  caps are only band aids for power problems.  very weak, crappy band aids.  buy a high output alternator and you won't need a cap!
Jared Nixon - A.K.A Jsmoke
3rd Coast Customs
Lake Charles, Louisiana
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, use the supplied resistor to charge it.  Contact the dealer or manufacturer for more specifics with that unit, but basically the power just goes through the resistor and slows the charge.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=21492&KW=charge

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bigjul45 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
I have two yellow tops one for the car and one for my audio with a double battery Isolator. I use to go through altenators until I hooked the system up this way. I added the cap and my lights stopped dimming.My car voltage with AC running,day time running lights and wipers on stays an 14 even when I play a song that has a lot of bass.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
First, of course it does, because the system is NOT drawing from the primary electrical system, it is drawing from the second battery. This does not mean it is done correctly. The cap is fixing NOTHING! Absolutely nothing. If your alternator is STILL not up to the task (which it still isn't, I assure you - it can't just magically be ready for the additional load...) you are only prolonging the inevitable. You still must upgrade your alternator. That 14 volts is read from your car's battery, NOT from the secondary (the system) battery, and the system battery is probably being pulled to dangerously low voltages. Do your amps run hot - like really hot? Warning sign number one.
Second, if you already added the cap, why are you asking how to charge it? Are you adding ANOTHER one? A larger one? And if so, if one cap "fixed" your light dimming issues, why a second (or larger) cap? What are you not telling us?
Charge it this way: Connect the negative to the chassis, and put a test light between the positive battery lead and the positive post of the cap. When the light goes out, the cap is charged, and you can connect the cable.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
nubiannupe 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2007 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
I was gonna kinda suggest the "test light" method. Much easier to determine if the cap is charged than using the resistor.
G. Rick (aka; Tha "R")
**Peter North is my idol***
MECP-Certified 1st Class Installer
docsautomotive 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
i am having the same problem with a 2005 nisian sentre sony 1200 watt amp 2 dual 12 inch subs 8 guage power wire  custermer said she got install at best buy but her lights dim when bass gets deep the got a 1.5 cap from my shop we installed it and no diffrence i think you gus or on the eright track with your ideas can some one recomend some good ideas

thanks  docs
never stop
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Doc...read this\
Upgrade the big three and take out the cap
throwback2332 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
First and foremost check the gain on the amps, make sure its adjusted right. Second skip the cap and get a batcap, discharge like a cap but store like a battery. http://www.batcap.net/Indexnew5.htm
If it's not custom, then it's not you.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
Ok...don't get a batcap...for the money it is not worth it. I'd rather suggest something like a Kinetik rather than a batcaps

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic