Wiring 2 4-Ohm DVC Subs Going Crazy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
strykerzx 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2007 at 4:49 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, here is what I have.

Im running 2 Alpine type-r 4ohm DVC subs into 2 Pioneer 5200T amps.

Im looking for the best way to wire each sub to its own amplifier.

the amplifier is capable of handling a sub at 4-ohm bridged.  If i run each sub in series (8 ohm load) and bridge them both seperately on their own amp, will it then drop the ohm load to 4 ohms and push the correct amount of power to my subs? 

I currently have each sub wired in parallel and it is running at 2 ohms per sub.  I then bridged it onto the amp, I think i messed this one up and could blow my amp if i keep running the subs at this configuration.  Im pulling my hair out here trying to figure out how i need to wire these subs.

Can wiring the subs at too low of an ohm rating cause the subs to cut in and out while playing them?  Or do I also have a power issue in my car?

prodigal 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2007 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
I looked at the specs of the amp and it shows that it is 2 ohm stereo stable and should not be connected at 2 ohms brodged. I made that mistake with an amp i had and i noticed 2 things-
1. The amplifier worked extremely hot and
2. The amp pulled way too much power from the car cause my lights were dimming like crazy
Luckily i didn't blow my amps npr sub. I ended up changing the amp so i could get the wiring flexibility i wanted.
Bridging subs can only be achieved by having the speakers in the same circuit. If you wire the speakers to 2 different amps this means you have 2 separate circuits. The only way to achieve one circuit from the 2 amps is to bridge the amps (i think it's called daisy chain) running the output rca from 1 amp into the input of the other. That way the two amps work together and you could connect the subs at 2 ohms to each channel. However you will not be able to achieve what you want using the amps separately.
The easiest option is to get a mono which can be wired at 4, 2 and 1 ohm to give you the wiring flexibility you want.
Prodigal Son
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2007 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
4 ohm DVC subs can either be 2 or 8 ohms a piece. Since you are dedicating an amp per woofer, there are no other choices. I would go back to where you bought your gear and get the right impedance woofers. Whoever sold you the stuff should have thought about this 1st!
strykerzx 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2007 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, thats pretty much the worst news I could have gotten today lol.  I bought all this stuff online, so returning this equipment to a store is pretty much out of the question.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5QHGL9duvYN/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=130GM7200M

would this be a better choice of amplifier?  If it looks like this will work perfectly with these 2 subs, I will go out and buy these 2 today and just throw the 2 amps I have now in my other car with my old subs.  I was really hoping to not have to drop another 300 dollars into this system but if it is the option that gives me the best sound, Im all about making the sacrifice.

prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2007 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
Dude you really seem to like pioneer but if you're looking to save a buck i'd go with hifonics. I usually order my stuff from s. Here's a link to a hifonics amp which has better specs and only $10 more.
http://www.sonicelectrnix.com/item_3533.html
This 1 is a 2005 model and is way cheaper than the 2006 model which basically has the same specs. I have the hifonics BXi1606D and i love it. Great power plus it's a class d amp and it pushes my 2 rockfords really hard with clean bass. Also you can drive this amp at 4, 2 or 1 ohm. This is just a suggestion. I believe a sound system is something personal and you should go with what you like cause it will make you happier. Good luck
Prodigal Son
strykerzx 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2007 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

I really do like Pioneer for amps, but I am not necessarily stuck on Pioneer when purchasing a new amp.  Right now my whole system looks like it was mismatched and paired up by different companies from all over the world.  I have Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, Kicker, Infinity, Rockford, and Memphis all in my car.  I know where I can get these 800 watt amps for a good deal though, so i was wondering if the 2 800 watt mono blocks would do the trick on these subs?

prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2007 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
personally i don't believe that using 1 company only has any big advantages over a mixed system. Once each component does it's job everything's ok. What you really need to be concerned about is matching them properly. For speakers and amps the rms rating are supposed to be considered. For example my hifonics amp is 1100 watts rms at 2 ohms and i wired my 2 rockfords 200 watts rms single voice coils in parallel to give me 2 ohms. Knowing the amp power is way higher than the sub i have the amplifier sub remote knob set to about half so i don't burn my speakers. I bought this more powerful amp because i intend to upgrade to 2 10" alpine type r with dual coil arrangemed to give me 1 ohm. So look at the rms ratings cause you can fry your speakers if the rms power output of the amp is too high. So don't really worry about the 'peak power rating' it's the rms that matters.
Prodigal Son
imseth85 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
You could run them each at 8ohms......you're not going to be able to squeeze a lot of power from the amp that way though. It will stay cool though, I'll tell you that much.
Seth Alvo     NY
Mobile Electronics Installer
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
OK... Number one: the amp you linked to is no longer available.
and Number two: AND you are going to get LESS THAN 3dB LESS OUTPUT!!!!! You will NEVER notice the difference in output. Keep what you have, wire the woofers for 8 ohms and bridge the amps, OR run one voice coil off each channel of amplification! Your amps will last longer, run cooler, and be more efficient.
You are making the WAY too hard on yourself!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Ok no ownder. I searched everywhere to get that amp cause it was cheaper. So many sites showed they have it but when i ordered it they contacted me to say they don't have it and offered me the 2006 model instead.
Questions:
Doesn't running 8 ohms require a greater current draw fron the battery cause i've known of cases where people running 8 ohm have to be adding battery water very often to their battery
Does running 1 voice coil have any effect on the speaker. If a dual voice coil speaker is rated at say 200 watts rms can you feed 200 watts into 1 voice coil or can you feed a higher wattage if the voice coils are combined?
Prodigal Son
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic