icon

Justifying sound systems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prodigal 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Hello my fellow forum members. This post is more food for thought and i hope to get as many opinions as possible.
We are all sound system enthusiasts and when it really boils down to what we want there's always the question of is it worth it. We spend so much time so much time and effort into our systems and of course not forgetting money too. We are always looking for ways to improve our sound system. No matter what we do to it there is always something more we want sooner or later.
Here's my point and i've seen this happen on many occassions. Someone spends so much money on equipment- let's say closer to the high end equipment and someone with a cheap system can attain sound almost as good as the high end investor. How does that make you feel? Good sound for a fraction of the cost.
I personally believe that no matter what there is always room for improvement and i like to learn by getting the knowledge and making logical rational decisions and investments. What i do with my sound system is personal because i do all my installations and designs myself so my gain is self fulfillment. How do you guys feel about that? By the way guys this forum is the best thing which ever happened to my sound system. I've been improving and still am improving. Thanks guys keep on sharing.
Prodigal Son
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

prodigal wrote:
Someone spends so much money on equipment- let's say closer to the high end equipment and someone with a cheap system can attain sound almost as good as the high end investor.

This is making a big assumption, one which I feel is wrong.  What sounds good to you may sound like crap to me and vice versa, so there is no real universal point for this kind of comparison.  Besides, a good sounding system is about more than just the cost of the components, it is about the quality and skill of the install as well.

Support the12volt.com
f150fan 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
I guess I look at it a bit differently. If I am going to drive a vehicle every day and be happy with it, then the sound system is going to matter. To me I cant justify not doing it when I get so much pleasure out of the inside of my vehicle on the drive home. I am stressed out enough during the day, the last thing I want to do on the way home is think about how crappy my factory system is.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, how many miles do you drive a vehicle, This is what I think of when I think of all the money going into the sound system, think of it as coins on the mile (pennys in some peoples cases, dimes in others lol) Even in the extreme case that you can spend 5000 on a car audio system, but drive the car for 50,000 Miles, thats 10 cents a mile for pure enjoyment. Well worth it in my opinion.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
xraytriguy 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn's reply begs two further questions on this topic.  He stated that a good quality sound system is not only based on the cost of the components but on the quality and skill of the install. 

First, does the cost of the system really make any difference at all?  I've been lamenting the cost of certain head units recommended by many, many people on this site.  If I choose to go strictly with retail from my local shop, I will pay upwards of twice what I could pay on-line.  I will, of course, not be privy to the manufacturer's warranty nor will I be properly supporting my local dealer who has graciously supported me.  Morally, ethically, financially (for the local shop owner) this may seem horrid, but - bottom line - money is money.  Will I feel better about myself driving down the road listening to my music knowing that I have paid everyone the most I could have paid, thereby putting food on their tables?  Or will I feel better driving down the road with the EXACT same set-up knowing that I paid pennies on the dollar and my wallet is thicker for it?  I don't know. 

Second, does the aesthetic of the install mean better quality?  Does it truly matter whether the cable in a car is zip-tied every six inches?  If my trunk - which never gets used for anything other than housing my amps and DSP - looks like a bowl of blue spaghetti, is my system "quality" compromised?  I personally would prefer a clean, tight install with no visible wiring regardless that noone will ever be looking.  But I'm not competing, so it's all about the sound, not the vision.  What real difference is there between the guy that does it himself and leaves wires untied but safe and the guy that has it professionally installed and perfectly trimmed and tied?  I'm talking sound-quality here, not aesthetic value...

My two cents is that supporting the local dealer is the best thing I can do and demanding that the install be top quality (aesthetically, as well) is part of that support.  By pressuring him to do the best work possible and paying him well for the work, I am helping ensure that he will be there in the future when I will need him (and, guaranteed, I will at some point). 

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
Here's my justification: "'Cause I want to..." or "'Cause I like to". I don't have to justify my effort/expense to anybody but myself. (and maybe occasionally to the spousal unit...)
I do believe that a high dollar source unit is probably where you SHOULD spend the most money on your system. It is, after all, "THE SOURCE". If you start with crap for a signal, you can't fix it further down the chain, and EVERY device in the chain after the source will damage that signal to some extent. So, yeah, the HU makes the MOST difference in the system. Second - the signal processing (if applied), third - the speakers, fourth - amplification, and fifth - cables (both speaker and signal). The install can have SIGNIFICANT impact on the quality of sound, as well as the reliability and logevity of the system, so a good deal of attention should be paid here, as well.
xraytriguy, the COST can have an affect on the overall quality of a system. Expensive amplifiers can sound better - higher damping, lower THD, better S/N ratio, ALL of those are better when you pay more. But, I have seen (heard) systems with total CRAP for gear, sound at least OK - due to the care taken with the installation: proper speaker placement, damping, ACCURATE gain control settings, careful adjustment of signal processing... ALL of that plays a tremendous role in the reproduction quality. Granted, I wouldn't put it in MY car, but it sounded OK, especially considering the money spent on the gear. As mentioned above, I would ALWAYS spend good money on the HU, no exception to that rule.
The moral dilemma you are facing really does not enter into it. I personally spend my money on brick-and-mortars, as I was once a small business owner myself, and I was forced to close, because "I wasn't competitive to the online guys". It sucks. So, plop that on top of your moral dilemma. It's just a personal decision we all must make.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

I ride in my vehicle virtually everyday, sometimes hours at a time.  People will spend  $3000 on say a hot tub, motorcycle, snowmobile, or whatever and use them a few times a week if they're lucky.  So I figure why not put money into something that will get the most use and enjoyment.  I can always find an answer for someone who questions why I would put so much money into car audio because they're usally wasting money on something they use even less.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

Never forget that everyone is different.  No two of us hear the same, and what's expensive to one person is another guy's pocket change.  I say the key is to build a system that you are happy with and to h*ll with what anyone else thinks about it.

Dave (haemphyst) thank you for clarifying my position.  I couldn't have said it better.

Support the12volt.com
prodigal 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
Though i agree that our own personal satisfaction should be what truly matters the simple fact of the matter is society controls us. If you have your system installed and you are perfectly happy with it at the moment that means oyu have achieved personal satisfaction. However if everyone else dislikes your system then it basically automatically follows that you would judge your own system (which you were previously satisfied with) as now non-satisfactory. In essence the opinion of others plays a valuable part of us being satisfied with what we have.
Now everyone has different tastes. I for example love low bass in fact i'm tuned to 25Hz ported and boosting frequencies 35 Hz and below. Everyone says it's too low but this is what i like. I get a thunder like bass (thanks to my bass maximizer) and my system sounds very different from that of the average person. My preference is towards sound quality with a good amount of loudness and not annoyingly loud like most people.
My favourite point so far is that your sound system is something that you really use and to me it forms part of my whole personality. It soothes me when i drive and for that kind of comfort i think money is not much of an issue. Thanks guys for your input. Keep em coming.
Prodigal Son
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
It's a hobby, and it's fun.  Idle hands are the devil's tools.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic