icon

Justifying sound systems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gavin9797 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
This is a hobby, a job, and a sense of accomplishment. It has provided over a decade of enjoyment for myself, as well put food on the table etc. My wife and I have had many "discussions" about my "obsession" At first she never really understood how I could be so deeply involved. I explained that I can get in any of my vehicles and give myself an Ego boost knowing that I did this work...add on to that, people pay me to do the same thing to their vehicles. Instead of spending my hard earned cash on a night of drinking or "whatever". I think of it as an investment. 
specialaudio 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Here's my justification: "'Cause I want to..." or "'Cause I like to". I don't have to justify my effort/expense to anybody but myself. (and maybe occasionally to the spousal unit...)
I agree with that statement, i dont have to justify to anyone how much time and money i wanna put into my car and more specfically my stereo system.
i have friends who look at me and laugh, they put money into loud mufflers and shi*ty body kits, when i turn to them and say " when you see a cop, can you turn down yours?" otherwise they get pulled over and get an ear full.  With just a turn of the dial it can go up with delight or down when it has to. 
anyways having said that, i just tell people i do this b.c i think  music isnt music unless its loud,  its fun, and its something to do. nothing pleases me more, to drive by someone and they look at me, and sometimes  you get that grumpy old man who gives the finger... haha its just fun
As for what kind of stereo comps, its in the eye or this case, ear of the beholder. what ever makes you happy.

93' Cutlass
pofke13lt 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
My girlfriend and her friends can never understand why I keep buying new gear all the time and spending so much money on this stuff. You know I thought about getting a nice big sub and more tower speakers for my home theater setup in my room, but then when I thought about it, I'd rather take those hundreds of dollars and buy some new subs because I know I spend most of my day cruisin around.. Im 20 years old [17 at heart] and when im in my car theres no other place i would rather be.. The sound of the exhaust, the look of the rims, and the sound/feel of the system. And also I get a kick out of going into someone elses car, who has spent hundreds to have somebody else install "the best of the best" [whatever that is at the time] and then I go to listen to it and my setup still sounds better, even if its using some temporary totally doodiety components at the time.. One other thing that just puts a big grin on my face, is when I'm pulled up at a light and theres a ricer or somethin next to me, and my system is bumpin so loud its gettin his girlfriend to be lookin over to see where its all comin from, and then the light turns green and we are both spinnin wheels and next thing you know my boat of a car [e34], with the huge box, subs, and multiple amps weighin it down even more still has the balls to kick some ass on the road.
No place I would rather be.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
pofke13lt wrote:
My girlfriend and her friends can never understand why I keep buying new gear all the time and spending so much money on this stuff. You know I thought about getting a nice big sub and more tower speakers for my home theater setup in my room, but then when I thought about it, I'd rather take those hundreds of dollars and buy some new subs because I know I spend most of my day cruisin around.. Im 20 years old [17 at heart] and when im in my car theres no other place i would rather be.. The sound of the exhaust, the look of the rims, and the sound/feel of the system. And also I get a kick out of going into someone elses car, who has spent hundreds to have somebody else install "the best of the best" [whatever that is at the time] and then I go to listen to it and my setup still sounds better, even if its using some temporary totally doodiety components at the time.. One other thing that just puts a big grin on my face, is when I'm pulled up at a light and theres a ricer or somethin next to me, and my system is bumpin so loud its gettin his girlfriend to be lookin over to see where its all comin from, and then the light turns green and we are both spinnin wheels and next thing you know my boat of a car [e34], with the huge box, subs, and multiple amps weighin it down even more still has the balls to kick some ass on the road.
wow... yer my hero. Grow up. Soon. PLEASE!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
pofke13lt 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, now that I read back on it I sound like a 14 year old Vin Diesel.. haha.. Maybe I shouldnt have gone into such detail, but I had just woken up and got very enthusiastic about the topic.Justifying sound systems - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic