icon

05 and up Radios with no switched power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sin0cide 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
So I just worked on a 2007 honda civic and a 2006 dodge charger and both of the factory units did not have a switched power... which is fine if I was replaceing the stereo as I would just tap one but I have been putting more and more Motorola Bluetooth Handsfree units in cars without a mute wire... Which is fine if it has a switched power that I can relay. Anyone have the slightest idea on how they are controlling these radio's or how to shut them off without losing memory.. and also after removing the power from the dodge charger the radio still had presets... -_-  how is that possible. I know I can relay the remote wire if the vehicle has a factory amp but what if it doesn't. I am sure someone has had to run into this issue before me.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
data-bus? can-bus?
sin0cide 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

good question

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
many newer vehicles use data for the radio.... switched power can be gotten at the ign switch or fusebox, or via a switching device like DEI's 55000.... which generates a switched voltage when seeing audio AC.......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
BulletTooth 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Well a more painful approach would be to use relays at speaker outputs, which would cutoff the sound...not pretty but will work.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
thats how the parrot works. it interrupts the speaker input side and then passes the handsfree info
sin0cide 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Well I am going to have to do some research of this data bus bull crap because I know there is a way I can make my own telephone mute circuit. there has to be a wire that sends that signal and something that can mimic it.
throwback2332 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
If the radio or headunit, sorry, has a mute button it can be done EASILY, no mute problem hope your good with diodes and relays.
If it's not custom, then it's not you.
a471789 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

just as others have said, you can run a seperate accessory wire to a switched 12v+ at either the ignition harness or going into the fusebox.  What could be easier than that?  That's what I do for people that have a 2000+ GM vehichle that requres the GM09 harness, but aren't willing to fork over the cash.  Just keep in mind that this very well may void the factory warranty despite the Magnusson-Moss warranty act.  It changes the electrical configuration of the vehicle, as where using the right harness is just adding to it.

Brent
MECP Advanced Installer
"I don't claim to know it all, just more than you."
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
So I been watching you guys talk about how to fix it with radios that have no mute, but noone is sayin how. So can someone clue me in? Kinda new to the whole handsfree stuff.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic