icon

components picking up engine noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rooskie 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
I recently installed some polk db series components. I've never had a problem with the feedback, or electronic noise like this until I amped the speakers. I understand plugs without radio protection could do this but mine have an "R" which rules that out. I've also been told speaker wires crossing paths with amp power or other accessory power sources may cause this. One other theory is amp is too close to the grounding point. I've moved the amp from under the driver seat, to the trunk where the sub amp is. I am not a professional installer nor do I have much experience, but I do love music and clarity is a must. None of which is enjoyable with a humming that follows rpms. Please any advice on what to do?? I have resorted to turning the deck off and cruising with the bland road noise lol. I know many of you proffesionals can relate to complaints, I just couldn't find any posts to pick advice out of. Help please.   
Andrew
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  

Do a search on alternator whine. What is the chance you have a Pioneer cd player? If so do a search on Pioneer noise issues. What you have is a ground loop, not wires crossed over, not amp too close to a grounding point, no plugs without radio protection, just a difference in ground potentials that manifests itslelf as noise in your system.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
Are you using a pioneer deck?
rooskie 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Ya I'm using pioneer, a cheap one at that. Should I just save myself some trouble and switch brands all together, maybe alpine or eclipse?
Andrew
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
10:1 that a new deck fixes your alternator noise.
Also, to clear up a few misconceptions I think you may have:
1: Resistor plugs (the "R" type) will ONLY help on radio noise, they will have no effect whatsoever on CD playback.
2: Speaker wires can cross ANY WIRE IN THE CAR, and there is zero chance of them picking up noise. ZERO. (There has even been fairly heated debates on this very forum as to whether even RCA's running parallel with a power cable can induce noise, let alone crossing one.)
3: There is no such thing as "too close to a grounding point". I have (in the past, mind you, not anymore) actually grounded RIGHT TO the amplifier's mounting screw. Never any noise issues. Generally speaking, the shorter the ground cable, the better.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
throwback2332 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
I have had problems with pioneer head units, cd player and nav units. But i love PIONEER!!!!
Try these tips: Run a ground wire 16-12 guage from your headunit to the amp ground, try grounding the rca ground to headunit or frame, BE CAREFUL don't all the way through just skim the outside cover. There are a few ground loop isolators out also. Don't try rerunning your wires just yet, 1 out about 100 times do you get noise from your rca, speaker wires and power wires crossing. Remember some cars have noise and some don't
If it's not custom, then it's not you.
oman76 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2007 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
I just went through this myself. But my deck is an old Sony ES CDX-C7850. To make a long story short I ended up running a power line from the battery to the deck and grounding to the car directly. This worked for me, hopefully it wil work for you. Don't forget to put a fuse on the new power line. 
Alpine 7903/Kove Aphex Signal Processor/
Streetwires/MTX Blue Thunder Pro 400X5/JL Audio XR570-CXi/Polk Audio DB Tweeters/Image Dynamics IDQ10D4 V.2
ihkili18 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
I know this might sound weird but if you are installing amps as well it shouldn't be a prob. Try running a power wire for your cd deck directly to the battery. then ground to a bolt near your radio dont use the factory harness ground. I have seen this fix the prob

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic