the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

06 charger sentry problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 04, 2007 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Just finished installing an Avital 4100 in a friends 06 Charger. I used the PKU-CH2GX and I could not get the car to learn the module no matter what I tried. After wasting an hour trying to get the vehicle to learn it I gave up, took the remote apart, and mounted the PCB into a 556U.
When they first bought the car they purchased a third key from the dealer. They tried to purchase the standard gray key without the remote. The dealership claims that they cut 3 gray keys and none would program so they finally programmed a key with a remote built in and gave it to them for the same price as the gray key would have cost.
I have programmed Sentry keys in the past, but this was the first that just would not take no matter what I tried. The light on the dash blinked, the chime sounded, all seemed fine but it just would not take the bypass.
Has anyone else run across this?
ziadmoh 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2007 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Chrysler has some issues with sentry key. The dealer is right (I think!)
The key with remote built in is called 2nd generation sentry key, where the other one w/o remote is called 1st generation ( as in Grnd. Chroke. 2000 w/ gray key).
Solution;
I use a CHDL7-PK2 (made by triologic), sometimes I have to take the module apart to program the chip that's in it. Someother times I had to add more turns arroun the ignition cyl. in order to get a stronger field.
Try these two ways, it could help. Let me know if you still have a problem. Leaving a key inside the vehicle is becoming an old tradition.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 04, 2007 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply,
You are correct with the fact it is the second generation Sentry key, however the PKU I used had both first and second generation chips in it, and you plug the antenna in according to which chip you need to use. I am positive that they offer a gray key option for the second generation Sentry as I have used them in 556U. I did indeed take the unit apart, took the factory key apart and put the chip in the location the factory chip sits which still did not work. I did not need door lock/alarm interfacing which is why I chose the piece that did Sentry and MUX output. I did not remove the factory transponder ring, because I had the chip in the exact position the stock chip resides when the key is in the ignition.
I did not leave a key in the ignition, I left the board from inside the key in the U. And, to the 'old tradition', sometimes it is the only option available. Especially considering most dealers will void the electrical warranty on the vehicle as soon as they see that any wire was cut.
Thank You again for the reply.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2007 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
The Chargers I have done did seem a little more picky about learning the bypass and the ring placement, but I haven't been unsuccessful at all.
Mike
lsondubz 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
You ARE able to program an additional key that is not a FobKey...What you need is a TAN keyhead instead of the older one which is gray colored, I argued with the dealership about this for a whole day until I went to a locksmith and purchased the tan key which worked perfect! The bypasskit module can be a pain to program, did you try taking apart the bypasskit module and holding the chip right to the keycylinder? Sometimes they wont program with the plastic case on them...
Twelvoltz 
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
Isondubz:
Yes I did take the case off of the unit and try to program it, I took the third key apart and held the module in the position of the key head, to the left, to the right, closer to the cylinder, further away from the cylinder, etc...still no good. I tried it with the ring in position and energized the module while energizing the ignition, I tried everything I could think of to program it and it just would not take. The dealer they took it to cut 3 gray keys before giving up and programming a remote key, but never mentioned a tan key.
Would I be correct in assuming the TAN key is 2nd Gen Sentry with the Gray being 1st Gen across all platforms?
Thanks again for the responses.
lsondubz 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it is, I have dealt with the dealership twice with them trying to program the gray keys and it will never work...Like I said on the 07 Cherokee I did they used a TAN key which is the 2nd gen Sentry non-fob key...Try stratec or ilco, I cant remember what brand it was but definitely was a tan head...
customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

I have recently been having programming issues with the new chryslers where the car will enter programming, but will act like it is not programming. The way I do it is I take apart a key, insert 1st key on till light goes off, insert 2nd key on till light goes off, take pc board out of key and put bypass as close to key and cylinder as possible and turn on. what has been happening is the bypass WILL program, though not how we are all used to. it will just register without waiting the 10 seconds and the light going solid and then out. How I figured out what happened (after an hour of trying over and over to program correctly) is I started the vehicle with the key with no pc board in it and it would start and die. I held the bypass up to the key like during programming, started with key, no pc board but with bypass by key and it would start with key. This has happened to me on more than one chrysler, so watch out for it. Hope this helps...

My rifle is my friend...
Twelvoltz 
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thank You all for the replies!
Customak47, while trying to program the bypass to the vehicle I did exactly as you describe while trying to program the bypass with no luck at all. Waiting the 10 seconds, not waiting, with the pcb out of the factory key and the bypass as close to the cylinder as possible and using the energized bypass with the ring around the cylinder. Nothing took, again this is a friends car and I have had no real problems with any other Chryslers I have done, some were temperamental but eventually all programmed. I was hoping that I was just missing something, but I am now thinking it is just this car.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Its the car, the new chryslers are a pain in the ass. I am to the point of having every customer do a key in the box because I am tired of the extra time some of the piles take....
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic