f250 crew cab subwoofer recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ants_s2 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
Gentlemen-
I have a 2003 F250 Crew Cab Diesel and am looking for some subwoofer recommendations. the box I am going to use has a woofer mouting depth of 5". I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Pioneer TS-SW2541D or JL Audio 10w1v2.
Here a link to the box: http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/269.htm
I might end up building my own to these specs, but for $119 you can't go wrong!
I can actually stuff the 12's in there too, with about 10lbs. of polyfill in there. (okay, so maybe not that much...but a lot)
I don't have first hand experience with either sub, so I am looking for your personal opinion on these. I have used JL and Pioneer before with great success (I miss those 'ol skool Pioneer Premier ALCC 12" subs...ah, the good ol days!)
I am powering it all with a Memphis Belle amp, so the subs should be getting about 250-300 watts RMS each.
Thanks for your input!
gavin9797 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged  

IMO from first hand experience. Go with the JL. If you go with those Pioneers buy double what you need, and keep them close for quick replacement. (No offence to the Pioneer, some of their stuff is great...just not these subs) 

And the sub box...lol..a guy brought one to me to install in his truck (from SuperCrew)...was supposed to be carpeted to his truck color, 3/4" MDF, and have a mounting depth of 5.25"....Long story short..I built him a new box. The carpet was wrong (not to mention it looked like they carpeted it with scraps..seams eveywhere peeling up)...and it was 5/8" MDF, and the mounting depth was just shy of 5". To top it off it was supposed to fit under his seat...sure did...if you didn't want the seat to latch.

So IMO $119 can be spent on materials and build your own.

bigbassbrent 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
I don't have any experience with the JL subs. I am however in the middle of installing my system in my 2002 F250 crew cab. I had a F150 previously and ran a super crew sounds box. It worked as advertised.
However, this time around I am going to build my own box for the F250. I searched quite a bit for subs which would excel in small enclosures and came up with the Dayton Reference HO series 10" subs which have been highly recommended on a few forums I visit.    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-462
I will be powering them with a JBL 1200.1 sub with is about 500W RMS to each. They only have a mounting depth of 5" so they may work for you To get a QTC of .707 they require a .34 ft^3 sealed enclosure. Check them out. Feel free to PM me with any questions I will be happy to help in any way I can. Good Luck.
Brent Parish
kicker guy 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
Well personally I would go with the JL if that is the 2 you are considering....
ants_s2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies...
Gavin9797- Thanks for the heads up. I may just end up making my own enclosure given your experience. I prefer making my own enclosures anyway.
Bigbassbrent- I'll look into those speakers. I have heard of them being used for home audio, never for car audio. I will check them out though.
Those are the only speakers that I have come across that will work, given those constraints- approx. 5" mounting depth and .45 cu/ft sealed box. Which other subs would work in this application? Recommendations?
ants_s2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Oh, almost forgot. Does anyone else have first-hand experience with those "Dayton Reference HO" woofers?
ants_s2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Guys-
So I need subs for my 2003 F250 Crew Cab. I need them to go behind the rear bench seat, so they have to be relatively shallow- under 5" depth! I have a total of about 1.3 ft3 of airspace. As far as power, I am using a Memphis Belle which has a class D mono sub amp and is stable down to 1 ohm (I believe). Obviously I will chose the right voice coil configuration to get the right amount of power out of the amp.
I have searched and searched and have narrowed my selection down to the following speakers. These seem to be the only ones I came across that works with those constraints (depth, small box requirements). WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS ON THESE SPEAKERS:
2- Kicker CVT10   
3-Clarion SFW1051
2-JL Audio 10w1v2
2-Pioneer TS-SW3041D ---12" Some people have said bad things but I'm still undecided.
I listen to rock/rap/hip hop mainly. I want something that will put out a lot of bass (if needed) but still sound good.
What are your opinions on these and why? Help me out because I need to make a decision in a few days- this stock system is KILLING ME! Help me fix this!!!!!
ants_s2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
Oh, and forgot to add this to the list:
2- Diamond Audio DS10D4
Help me get this stock crap out of my truck!!!
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
Personally I've always liked the way that the diamond audio speakers sound,  you can almost never go wrong with jl either tho. but unless you've heard all of the subs i wouldn't go out and buy some on somebody else's opinion.
Quad L Handyman services
ants_s2 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
And that is the hard part. I would love to hear all of these speakers but all of the shops around me pretty much use Kicker and JL...and that's it.
That is the exact reason I am here; to get the opinions from people who have their hands on this stuff daily.
One vote for Diamond and JL. Others? Has anyone ever used the Clarion subs (especially since I could possibly stuff 3 of them in!)?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic