stabilize hu in 04 jeep grand cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gumpreza 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all,
In my Jeep one week ago, I installed the Kenwood KVT817-DVD with GPS, Sirius, iPod adapter, MTX amp & subs with other features.
My question is this, everything is running fine and functional, it's just that when I removed the factory Infinity, I used a metra kit to fit the 1 din head unit into the dash and it all 'fit' okay, but the actual HU always wants to move around after sealing up the dash. The reason for this is obvious - behind the dash kit, I've literally got the HU sitting on a roll of electrical tape to elevate it into place because there is nothing in there to stabilize the head unit to!
Removing the factory radio created a hole wider, deeper, and taller than the aftermarket dash kit and my HU. The unit came with a nice outer trim for the visible part of the unit while sitting in the dash kit, and its flimsy clip seems to be the only thing helping to hold the unit in place!
How can I stabilize it once and for all?? I don't want it to be damaged as it always continues to move, ever so slightly.
p.s. I'm getting noise coming out of my subs from anything electric in my Jeep, I'm guessing its a grounding issue. I couldn't find any good grounds, any suggestions for my model?
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

Did you bend the tabs out on the metal bracket that the head-unit slides into.  This is supposed to hold the weight of the head-unit, and the trim ring is simply to make it "look-pretty."

As far as the grounding issue, have you measured the ground with a DMM. You want a resistance less than one ohm.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2007 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
On the back of your OEM HU, there might (should) be a plastic clip, that is screwed/bolted to the back. In the dash, there might be a corresponding rail, onto which this clip will slide. When you removed your OEM HU, it probably had to slide off this rail. Once installed on the aftermarket unit, using the screw hole on the back if IT, you'll slide it back into the dash, and that will stablize your radio.
As far as the noise? Make a lead that you can attach to the back of the radio (use the same bolt as the above mentioned one), and then attach it to a good solid piece of metal in the dash, with a self tapping screw. Clean any paint or corrosion from beneath it before you do so, though. If you are using a harness, it is possible that your factory ground might be inadequate, i.e. corroded, loose, etc.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
gumpreza 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
Update:
Got this all fixed, everything is perfect.
Needed a new Metra kit for up front, brackets were missing from the one I purchased initially. As far as the noise goes, a basic ground loop isolator took care of all alternator noise in the subs - my grounds were fine.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic