the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

do i need a new battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  

Car: 1997 Nissan Maxima GXE

R/S: Ultrastart 1270TL

For the past couple "cooler" the r/s has worked FLAWLESSLY... now that it's -10 below here in Chicago, here's what it does:

When the * button is pressed to initiate remote start, it will chirp/honk ONCE, turn over for 2-3 seconds without successfully starting the engine (it seems like it's struggling -- like it's a weak battery ... or the typical cold engine in -10 degrees).  Then, however, it does NOT try to start the engine again (as it is programmed to do so in the event of an unsuccessful start).  It leaves the parking lights ON and constant .  When you press it (*) again, it honks twice, then the lights go out.  When you press it a 3rd time (*), it starts up with much more vigor (seems like the battery is a little more charged) and it successfully cranks the engine to starting... and voila.. the car is started.

Do I need a new battery?  Do I need to re-program?  Is anyone familiar with this behavior on the Ultrastart 1270TL?

I have a customer with a 2001 Nissan Sentra .. my install as well, and in the SAME weather conditions, NEVER once has it not started the car on the first try.  The difference is that this customer's nissan sentra has a brand newer battery (within 1 year old).

Thanks!

The search function is your friend.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  

I guess since it works most of the time....you've got both starter wires connected.......right? The jumper for the white wire is on possistion #1 And the wire is connected to the #2 starter wire?

blk/wht #1

RED / blue #2

warpedimage3 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
are you using tach sensing or voltage sense? the reason the parking lights stay on and it doesnt try and start again is because the unit thinks the car is running.  When you hit the buttons again it turns off the parking lights and thinks it turns off the car.  It sounds to me like you are using voltage sensing.  The best way to fix it would be to hook up the tach wire if this is already done make sure the brain is set to tach sensing.
peterubers 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

I am using Voltage sense -- previously, I was using Tach Sense, but then I decided to use voltage sense by using the "quick tach Learn" feature (I wanted to shorten the time it took to crank b/c it seemed like it was cranking a bit too long). 

So, my tach wire is connected and it working fine -- should I reset the system, and have it re-learn the tach in order to shift back into tach sensing mode? 

Thanks!!

peterubers 
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
And yes, I have the jumper set to "second starter" and the white wire is connected to the Starter#2 wire of the Nissan. In fact, when I start the car in the extreme cold, i can hear that "gurgling" of the injectors spraying fuel into the engine so I know in fact that the second starter wire is receiving power and functioning appropriately.
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I am in North Dakota and have run into issues with voltage sense when it is this cold. I would setup tach and re-learn it when the vehicle is cold.
peterubers 
Posted: February 06, 2007 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

Brhaugen,

Thanks for the response... nice to know i'm not alone!  Will try tach learning today.

splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
run a tach wire, no doubt will fix...
warpedimage3 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
yea voltage sense has problems when it is extremely cold
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
I'd try some combination of these three things:
1. Switch back to tach. Since you already have the wire hooked up, it's easy.
2. Have the battery tested somewhere. Most of the big-chain parts stores, as well as Sears or a Wal-Mart auto center, will most likely test it for free.
3. Next time it's really cold, connect another car to yours with jumper cables, and see if the remote start works any better. If it doesn't, replacing the battery probably won't help either.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic