Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
ok...so problem is maybe due to crappy sub syndrome lol
lilj2343 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2007 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
thats what i was thinking to..... i know audiobahn is low grade by some standards... but less than a month and it's gone????? wth
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  

Hey azn..yeah I have been extremely busy so not really on here that much anymore..but should be once the Fios is set up at the place I am staying at so I can go online at night. Right now I only go online at work so thats why you don't see me as much.

Anyhoo... I am a JL audio sub fan. To me they sound the "best" for the type of listening I do..which is basically everything..I do listen to some bassy music at times but am not a bass head. I find the JL's reproduce the bass very accuratly and are loud as well. As far as reliabilty I had a JL10w6 working for 10 years and it still actually plays...just that the surround has started breaking up but this is simply from age. I could techically recone it but not a big fan of that..Rather buy a new JL since 10 years is long enough.

lilj2343 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
any of you guys got background with power acoustik???? I'm looking at a Power Acoustik MOFO 15 right now and it seems like what i'm looking for.
Its specs are:
2600 watts peak / 1500 RMS
340 oz. magnet
4" BASV / Kapton Hybrid 18 AWG Voice Coil
SPL 92 Db
Dual 2 ohm voice coil
Dual Conex Spider
I found it on e-bay for 200.00 but I've also seen it on other sites and still haven't seen anything as far as reviews for it..... if you can help me out, please do!!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Did you not learn your lesson with the Audiobahn? 'Nuff said.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
lilj2343 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
well.... i also just found a PPI Precision Power 15 DCX 154 that i'm interested in..... know anything about them??? I'm between the PPI and the Alpine right now..... can't decide
kicker guy 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

The type R will not disapoint you

dohckiller808 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  

500 rms aint much to push 15s. you might of under powered the last to blow it. try finding a sub that handles lower power. the type r is a good sub but you need quite a bit of power to wake her up.

in all honesty with your power i would just go with a pair of rockford P2. it RMS at 250 each where youll be in the range of where the speaker will work corectly. 

150SPL musical in a civic coupe
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
I hate Rockford Punch series subs...they are overpriced for thr crap you get...the cones on them are crap...weak brittle plastic
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

honestly I wouldn't worry about "underpowering" a sub. I also thought this at one time but in reality and all laws of physics this is simply impossible. I even did my own experiment and ran a sub hard on a tiny little amp and cranked it for hours. It sounded fine most of the time but eventually the amp is what actually burned out, This is an extreme example but I can tell you the sub is still in perfect condition....why you may ask?  Because the amp did not have enough power to blow it.

So the moral is be more concerned with overpowering a sub if you want reliability. Also as you already know gains that are misadjusted will blow subs just as abuse will. Get a decent sub and enjoy..stay away from el cheapo flea market whored out stuff.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic