icon

ultrastart trunk pop problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
northern 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

Ok. Ive done about 20 ultrastarts so far and have been having 2 problems reoccuring.

The first problem happens when you remote start the vehicle the trunk pops open. It happens every single time you start the vehicle up with the ultrastart remote.

The second problem happens 1 out of 10 times. When you start the vehicle the trunk will pop and then it will continue to pop over and over and over again. But it only happens sometimes not every single time.... I know there is an output that you can change on the unit that will make the trunk output turn into a parking light ouput, but if this were the case then the trunk would pop open every single time you remote started it......

I have left about 3 messages on ultrastart's answering machine..... but I am guessing they don't ever check the answering machine because I have not had a call back.

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
I am not an Ultrastart installer, never have done one, however from looking at this manual it appears as if the trunk release option is default programmed to "car finder" mode menu 2 option 4 shows car finder in bold indicating the factory default setting. Did you try reprogramming this option on the problematic systems?
I don't know if this is it or not, but figured it might be worth a try.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
i install ultra's i have never heard of this problem before. what model is it? what car do u have it wired to and how do u have the relay wired?
splaudio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
the trunk release is hold unlock for 3 sec u can switch it to the 4th button but it is still the same wire. i am thinking maybe ur not running a relay and it needs one or the relay is wired bad when triggering the start, check ur ground...
saskpuller 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
I had the same problem with an ultrastart on an 04 grand prix. Spent all day with relays and programming etc. SPent 20min on the phone with ultrastart. They had no clue. Finally gave up and switched the unit out with a different one. Problem solved. I couldn't change the programming to be trunk output. It was like the module was defective. As it turns out, it was.
northern 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

The trunk output is a negative output, and the vehicle required a negative output. We didn't use any relays. This has happened on 3 cars so far. All 3 required a negative trunk output. And like I said the trunk output works perfect, its just sometimes it does the above things...

All the ultrastarts were the 2 way LCD screen version.

splaudio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
run a relay and see if it fixes it. will only cost ya about a dollar...
northern 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I suppose... Im just not impressed with the units, we have had this problem on 3 vehicles now...  but in other vehicles it worked perfect. Ultrastarts tech support is non existent.
airwolf 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

OK, here is a tip for you.  I recomend you to try it.

I am pretty sure on your instalation you use several relays like one for < face=Arial,Bold color=#1f1a17 >Anti-Grind, another for Starter Kill, etc, etc ............Do does external relays has a diode between the coil terminals 86 and 85 ?  I have seen a lot of relay sockets that does not come with this diode.

< face=Arial,Bold color=#1f1a17 >What I think is happening is that does relays you are using does not have a spike diode protector, and when the relays get deenergize they are sending a spike to the alarm brain and causing the malfultion you have with your trunk.

Try it and please let us know

Good luck,

Isaac

< face=Arial,Bold color=#1f1a17 > 

northern 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

In the 3 cases that we had major problems there was no relay used, the we used the autostart to control the second ignition wire.... 2 cars were GM's with negative trunk release output. The other was a grand cherokee with a negative hatch release. So in these 3 cases we didn't use relays... Very good point though, had we used relays it would have been worth checking into.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic