icon

the best spl subwoofer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snoopymojom3 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
ive been doing some research for a while on the best SPL subwoofer to use in my car but I have come up shot and with some questions. first off, let me just tell you some of the subs that i have found and what they are known for.
1.) 12" hifonics goiath 3212.. 3200 rms 1.2 ohm (I think) $300
2.) 12" bravox EDXD2.. 300-3000 rms .9 ohm $500-$600
3.) 15" memphis m3 mojo.. 1000 rms ? ohm $400(new online)-$800(new at dealers shop)
4.) 18" RE MT.. 1600 rms (i think) $800
not done much research on the goliath, but i only want one sub i know for sure.. also, i would want the same componey that makes the sub to make the amp. memphis amp for memphis sub, RE sub for us amps amp, etc.
the goliath, with the colossus amp which is 3200 rms 2 ohm stable. i guessing in a 4 cubic feet box, ill be hitting low 150's. the mojo with a 2.4 mojo amp maybe 147, the Bravox with an MA audio 4000d maybe 150s (i know the EDX if you power it enough will burp at 160) and the MT with a us amps 2000d maybe 149-151. the EDX's cone though it a little funky i heard, but still, 160 dbs from 1 12" sub is nothing to sneer at. the mojo it only 1000 rms, thats kitty stuff compaired to the other subs ive been looking at. whats your guys' input on the subs. got anyothers? to be honest, i would like to hit atleast 150 with one subwoofer which i know is doable. i just need to know what sub amp combo. thank you.
if sparks dont fly, your car's too high!
Team Trunk Thump.
new set up, soon to be in- 15" mojo with a 2.4k mojo amo, o gauge wire, 160 amp alt. 55hertz at 1 ohm. pushing 150 dbs i assume.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
what kind of car?
dohckiller808 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  

is cost an issue?

i like image dynamics for spl. a friend of mine hit 152 with a single 10, 4000 watts rms to it and of course the sub melted...

150SPL musical in a civic coupe
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
there are way too many factors to take into account when deciding on a SPL setup than just the sub. first thing to keep in mind is that generally, more cone surface area equals more SPL. so generally, that 18" sub will kick the crap out of those 12"s anyday. The enclosure has another huge roll in SPL. lots of bracing and volume is a must.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
snoopymojom3 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
no, cost really isnt a problem. and the subwoofer is going into a 1993 ford festiva gl h/b. the thing is i was thinking of selling the festiva and putting two of any one of those subs into a 2000 jetta. i know 4 dr. cars are not a likelt subject for an SPL comp car, but ive seen it done. ive seen a civic hit 157 w/ 2 15" RE MTs. the thing is with the 18's and the 12's is that with 18's, since the coil is bigger, you have one huge hit and or burp and it takes a little time to recover and with 12's you get a consant thump depending on the bass in the song. i have also heard of the 18" soundstream xxx subwoofer for i think $2000 at 10,000 RMS WATTS! insane! pete k. of TTB used 2 15" SS XXX in hit viacross. hit 162 in an SQL enclosure. and underpowering tham by a bunde. and yeah i know the enclosure takes a big part. lol. if the box is too small youll kill the sub. hah. well, ill keep searching, and ill look in to that inage dynamic subs. thanks alot.
Team Trunk Thump.
new set up, soon to be in- 15" mojo with a 2.4k mojo amo, o gauge wire, 160 amp alt. 55hertz at 1 ohm. pushing 150 dbs i assume.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
I dont know what kind of meer you are seeing these kind of #'s done on, but Some nubers look extreamly fluctuated in these posts.
Are you going to sanctioned shows like USACi, DbDrag, Or MECA?    If not then you are probably seeing # put up on an old audiocontrol meter which can vary greatly normally 7-14db diffrence from a real meter like the Term Lab.
Last time I checked With DB Drag, MECA, AND USACI our team had the loudest Civic coupe in the US, which metered 153.1 with (2) 12's
The loudest stock class and pro stock classes and db drag street classes were just at 160 DB + or - 2 db.
What kind of competitions are you planning on going into so I can tell you what a good setup would be
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

Quote: ive seen a civic hit 157 w/ 2 15" RE MTs.

I was going to call BS but Jeff beat me to it.

Support the12volt.com
snoopymojom3 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
. he had 2 15" mts and 2 hifonics colossus amps. i saw the videos on myspace and messanged him and thats what he told me. hah. w/e. in anycase i like the rules of the bass race.. ive been doing alot of reseach in that and i like it, so probably DBdrag and the bass race. once in a while i might go to the meca. now i was thinking of tacking a fiberglass job with which ever set up i got with to make it look a little nicer, butat the same time i still want an spl type car and i dont think fiberglass and SPL got together to well so i think just like a 6 cubic box will do for one sub. i just dont know if i should make the box myself and mess it up or have the caraudiobox.com make it for me. it looks like they have some high qulity made boxes
Team Trunk Thump.
snoopymojom3 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
and jeff. i saw you hit 160. what di you have and in what car, what box and what amp.
Team Trunk Thump.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

Jeff hit 160 with a pair of Bose 6" subs he took out of a Pontiac Aztek powered by a Sony Xplode amp.  He's a magician.

the best spl subwoofer? -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic