icon

2nd Starter Wire in Nissans Does What?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
I posted on my350z.com to see if I can get any insight.  I doubt I will though, as, like I said, there isn't anything in the service manual about it.  You would almost have to trace it out and see where it goes.
Kevin Pierson
dcman41 
Copper - Posts: 211
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  

[IMG]https://img.photobucket.com /albums/v374/DcMaN341/ secstartermaxima.jpg[/IMG]

If you didnt hook up heres a diagram on how to hook up the second starter wire that i made.

dcman41 
Copper - Posts: 211
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
2nd Starter Wire in Nissans Does What? - Page 3 -- posted image.
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
I had the second starter hooked up on this '97 Maxima .. the Ultrastart has a jumper-able second start 30Amp fused output for second start wire.  I even jumped the second start wire to the first starter wire (OEM jumped to OEM) to see if the problem would recur -- and it did.
The search function is your friend.
KPierson 
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

One of these days, when its a bit warmer in my garage, I'll play around a little with the 2nd starter wire on my G35 coupe.  I would be interested to know if the starter will crank if you energize the 2nd wire (I read somewhere that it shouldn't, but I would like to verify).  I would also like to check out the size in relationship to the first starter wire.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit and I still can't figure out where it would go and what function it would provide that isn't already covered another way. 

Kevin Pierson
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  

at least on the 1997 Maxima .. the primary starter wire (OEM) seemed to be about 10 gauge .. whereas the second starter wire seemed to be about 12 gauge -- which would make sense if we hypothesize that the second start is just energizing a sensor or cold valve, whereas the primary starter wire is actually conducting more current to energize the OEM engine starter.

Lemme know what you find out.

The search function is your friend.
KPierson 
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

With electronic fuel injection though you wouldn't need any extra sensors, valves, or injectors.  The ECU already has the intake temp, which would be more accurate and more reliable then a bimetallic strip.  The ECU also knows when the car is cranking based on the frequency of the crank angle sensor (the same way remote starts monitor tach to know when the car has started). 

I was able to find a reference to the wire in a G35 service manual.  It shows it on terminal 5 of the ignition harness and then it goes to fuse 9.  Fuse 9 is for the daylight running lights, which US spec cars don't have.  Nothin else is shown on that fuse.

When I get home I'm going to cut the 2nd starter wire and find out what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :)

Kevin Pierson
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

Regardless if the vehicle cranks or not by cutting the 2nd starter wire alone still really doesn't explain why the vehicle requires one. However, I strongly feel that the vehicle would not crank if you powered up the 2nd starter wire alone, especially if it is of a smaller ga. then the 1st. I have not read a service manual on this but bet it's correct. Still curious if anyone can locate documentation on the "what" and "why" for the 2nd starter is without guessing or assumptions.

But since it seems this 2nd starter wire is required to be connected when doing a remote start there is another easy way to do it with a relay if your particular unit does not have a dedicated 2nd starter output wire. Although most RS units today should have one you never know with some of the cheaper "no name" brands.

30 to 12v+ constant fused

85 to ground

86 tapped off the crank output wire of RS unit (still leave connected to the main starter wire of the vehicle)

87 to 2nd start wire of vehicle

87a not used

KPierson 
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

Well, if people are having issues remote starting Nissans when they are cold because they arn't hooking up the 2nd starter wire then logically you should have issues starting it with the key if you unhook the 2nd starter wire!   :)

Kevin Pierson
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2007 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Yes KPierson, that would make sense.
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic