icon

curious about soldering technique

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tankd0g 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
Just wonddering what technic most people use to solder a wire to an existing wire.  I used scotch locks while I was figuring out wiring my starter but now I have to go back and solder.  Do you just use the heat of the soldering iron to strip the insulation as you solder the wire on or do you have to use a knife to removed a secion of it?  The wires are pretty delicate, 18 gauge or smaller, so I don't know if I want to have at it with a razor blade :)
curious about soldering technique -- posted image.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
You need to remove the insulation from the wire you will be soldering to. If you do not, you will melt the plastic into the wire as well as the solder, if you even get the solder to go through at all.
Mikeshonda750 did a "How to solder" post a while back, give it a read here.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2007 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
Twelvoltz wrote:
You need to remove the insulation from the wire you will be soldering to. If you do not, you will melt the plastic into the wire as well as the solder, if you even get the solder to go through at all.
Mikeshonda750 did a "How to solder" post a while back, give it a read here.

That's great, thanks. 
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
Get an automatic wire stripper and a good gun [my preferance] dual heat type. strip off 3/8 inch for the main wire, take the wire to be attached and fan out the strands [this helps in making the intital wrap nice and tight and also not too bulky] Put our gun to the connection pull he trigger, let it heat up and melt some solder onto it. Whenthe solder gets shiny and it will suck into the connection, your done. Tape it up and onto the next one...
Good luck!
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
I've looked around but I can't find a wire stripper that does this, what does it look like?  Is a single fold of tape the proper way to do it rather than wraping around a number of times?
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  

Mac, Snapon....they all have good strippers....(ha ha)

I use a Mac.

Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
Ya can get them at home depote, lowes, menards about 15 bucks.. As far as the tape goes, I use 3m super 33 and take about an inch and a half and just wrap it nice and tight so it wont unravel or there arent any strands pokeing through the tape... the tighter the better, It just makes for a nice clea install...
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Hymer wrote:
Ya can get them at home depote, lowes, menards about 15 bucks.. As far as the tape goes, I use 3m super 33 and take about an inch and a half and just wrap it nice and tight so it wont unravel or there arent any strands pokeing through the tape... the tighter the better, It just makes for a nice clea install...

Is there such a thing as shrink wrap tape?
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
Well I checked out Home Depot, Cnd tire and Walmart, couldn't find a stripper that does this, can anyone post a link to one?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic