the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

curious about soldering technique

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
If you plan on doing installs, I would suggest a better quality tool. Check out this one from Snapon. I do not use the automatic ones like what you have listed, I just use standard strippers and a razor blade.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
tankd0g 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Well damn, there was something that looked like that at Home Depot but the illustrations on it only showed wire ends being stripped.  It was like $60 though so maybe I'll go the razor blade route for now.
curious about soldering technique - Page 2 -- posted image.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thats what they are meant for, but they do work really good for installs, sometimes ya still need to cut the insulation back but for the most par they work great. I think Great Bend tools makes them, in the home electrical sections generally.. a good old razor blade works just fine too, just tough on the digits...
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
jose23 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
I use an ideal (brand) automatic wire stripper. They make electrician tools and all there stuff works great. What makes these types of strippers great is that you can use them 'in-line' to pull back enough of the insulation on the wire to give you a place to solder into. Just go on eBay and type in 'ideal wire stripper', or 'ideal stripmaster'. There are a few ones on there right now that are under $10 (at the moment). To give you an idea of what they look like, here's a quick link to one that's for sale in eBay stores:
http:///.com/IDEAL-Stripmaster-10-22-AWG-wire-stripper-45-092-L-4421_W0QQitemZ150090462894QQihZ005QQcategoryZ109566QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
jose23 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
Alright. Link isn't working. The wire stripper that I was trying to link to AS A REFERENCE (you don't need to pay that much) is item# 150090462894
The reason I picked that particular auction is because it has great close-up pictures of the stripper. If you'd like to take a look, just type in the item number into the search box (over on eBay).     
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
jose23 wrote:
Alright. Link isn't working. The wire stripper that I was trying to link to AS A REFERENCE (you don't need to pay that much) is item# 150090462894
The reason I picked that particular auction is because it has great close-up pictures of the stripper. If you'd like to take a look, just type in the item number into the search box (over on eBay).     

So it's a gripper on one side and a blade on the other? It looks like it pushes it back rather than removing anything, is that right?
jose23 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Yep. Correct. It grips on one end and it cuts and pushes (pulls, actually) the wire back on the other end. The key to using these kind of strippers is to insert the wire into the proper cutting head (hole on wire stripper). If the insulation doesn't cut through all the way then you've obviously selected the wrong cutting head (again, the hole on the stripper) for the wire size. same thing if you manage to cut through some of the wire along with the insulation....
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  

I use the standard stripper and a olfa knife to slice the insulation. Easy and no broken wires. Some newer cars are extremely difficult to get auto strippers in to use. just my .02.

Also use super 33 for its good adhesion.

tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
Ok well then this stripper is at Home Depot for $24.95, might as well pick one up :)  Thanks for the help again guys.
tankd0g 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2007 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
xtremej wrote:

I use the standard stripper and a olfa knife to slice the insulation. Easy and no broken wires. Some newer cars are extremely difficult to get auto strippers in to use. just my .02.

Also use super 33 for its good adhesion.

Picked up a roll of that today, I can really see the difference over the regular stuff.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic