the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

opinions on old school amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
Look what I found: http://audiotools.com/dead.html You guys may know about this site... I just found it and it looks pretty cool. It tells about all the different AV companies out there and what happened to them. Lots of links in the side and site directory on the right.
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2007 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
  love the old fosgates!!! i have a 500m power, 400x4trans-ana, and 4080dsm.  they all just sit in my closet waiting for me to buy another weekend ride to put them in- i just can't bear to give them up.  thinking about b.a. g5's?:  excellent choice.  i am overly impressed with my g5 12's.  can't say enough.  if you want to run old amps, don't be so overly stuck on running a real low impedence.  the g5's do come in single voice coil if needed to match your needs.  AND, if it fits your application, don't forget about bostons gtr's (tunable, passive radiator) that are available to match those subs-about $100 each.   i test ran 2 g5's in sealed box-sounded great for 2-12's.  then i tossed 2-gtr 12's in the box.  it sounded like i added another 12, with no impact on power handling or loss of sound quality.  it did greatly increase the low end also.    you should hear all 4 g5 12's, and 4 gtr 12's in my truck- with 2-ppi pcx 2400's powering 'em.
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
Fosgate3 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

With those comments, I'm looking forward to hearing the ones I have. I already bought mine: two 10inch G5 DVC @ 4ohms per coil, which is why I mentioned either wiring them both at 1ohm or 4ohms, *or* wiring each at 2ohms and putting an amp on each.

I remember the old fosgates well and one thing that I found is that they seemed to work well at a lower ohm load than what was recommended, and typically did it consistently. I was hoping to hear more about PPI and HiFonics but one of the things I am running into is finding an "old school" amp that is 1ohm mono stable. I have no problem with wiring two amps, one to each sub.

Regarding the G5's, do you have an opinion on sealed vs ported enclosures? You know many manufacturers will put specs for a ported enclosure out for a sub but some really dont sound good ported in spite of these specs.

So with the PPI: I was looking at the art series and the sleeker ones with the rounded chassis, usually black or nickel finish. They were pretty strong amps, or so I thought. Any comments on that?

Another thing: last night I spent some time on google and yahoo looking for images or info on the *old* Lanzar amps that were out before Optidrives, before Boss(i think) bought them out. We used to call them the "butterfly amps" b/c of the design of the heat sinks. I am not wanting to go with them but I just wanted to reminesce a bit. Wish I had some model numbers as that would probably help...

jar754 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2007 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
go with the ppi art series, they are without a doubt the best amplifiers from there time and they are still better than alot of amps built today. i have had the surfer board amp which was the a6o6.2 which i bought nearly ten years ago and is still going strong not one single problem. one of the only amps to hold its value and probably increase a little. i paid $1200 ten years ago and could get that today. remember that the egineers that designed the art series branched off to make another powerful amp co. named xtant
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2007 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  

ppi art series:  all day!  awesome amps- i have had several old ones, now i have 4 pcx series in my truck (powerful,but they only run down to 2 ohm stereo-and have a HUGE current draw- like 400 amps altogether)

g-5's:  haven't run in ported enclosure.  i have ran in 1.0 and 1.25 cu foot sealed boxes (the 10's need like .5 cu. ft)- sound about the same-very tight, hard hitting. and hit the low notes good too.  when i added the gtr passives to the box, just really amplified the low end of the specrum.  didn't seem to change the excursion or power handling of the speaker.  i'm not a big fan of ported boxes, but i can imagine it would be hurtful.

(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
Fosgate3 
Posted: February 27, 2007 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

I am thinking of using the GTR. I was wondering, would you have a better response with the subs facing towards the rear of the trunk and the GTR facing towards the front of the trunk, towards the small cavity that is usually present between the box and the back of the rear seats (provided that you did a typical non-sloping box). I was planning on doing individual chambers for each sub so I'd need two GTR's... only mention that in case anyone has done a common chamber with these and used one GTR with both subs.

The Art series sounds like the way to go. I surfed the net and found several on ebay. I picked out a four channel and a couple of two channels just to consider and I think I'll shoot for these eventually. I appreciate the input given to this topic tremendously. It's been fun to flashback in time!! For the time being, until I can get the PPI's, I'm going to run with a  Rockford Fosgate 551x on the mids/highs. I had this amongst my other things and figured I'd use it for now.

The front stage are a pair of Boston Acoustics SL65's... they sound really good, and a pair of Kicker Resolution R25's in the stock tweeter placement. The rear is stock... for now. This may sound crazy but I have some older speakers lying around that are still in great condition and work very well: a pair of Kicker Impulse 6.5 midbass drivers, a pair of Eclipse Point Source 4", and a pair of Diamond Audio 1" silks. I am thinking of putting the midbass in the stock rear locations and making a fiberglass pod to how the 4's and the Diamonds. Those would be positioned in a way that really gives a good image from the rear. It may be a waste of time but I think it would sound good.

I have a couple of eq's that I've wondered about using: the Eclipse 2101 and the Kicker KQ5. In the past, I'd run a separate eq of sorts; however, my last personal system used a Pioneer Premier DEH-860MP for a head unit and all the equalization was built in. I've considered using another Pioneer model like that again but I've also given thought to using one that may lack the on board eq but still does MP3 playback and is XM ready. I have a Pioneer XM receiver in the car already so Pioneer would probably be the route I'll choose. Any thoughts here?

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic