icon

alarm and door locks work, no remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Warren Jeep 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  

For the most part I've successfully installed the Commando rs-combo on my 86 Cherokee. The only thing that is not working is the remote start. When I press the button, the dash lights up, the parking lights blink and the door buzzer buzzes, all of these at the same time briefly (about a half a second), then nothing happens. I have all connections made except for the starter interrupt/anti-grind, could that be the culprit? Or, I've got the brown 12 gauge #2 ignition running parallel on the same ignition wire as yellow primary ignition wire, maybe that's it? I'm stumped.

Also, when left armed overnight the alarm has a tendency to just chirp occaionally and sometimes even go off. I know no one was near it because there were no footprints in the snow in my driveway, so it wasn't my crack-addict neighbor trying to steal my stuff again. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Dane

Dane Edmonds
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

Did you install the hood pin? if so is your hood open? If not is the blue wire grounded? 

Your shock sensor may be set too sensitive. but you might want to keep it set sensitive because it might pick up the shakes that your crack head neighbor probably makes when he is about to try to steal your stuff

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Warren Jeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  

Ha ha ha, very funny but true about the neighbor. I have the hood pin installed, and I thought that it could possibly be that the hood pin wasn't grounded well enough so I took a length of wire and extended the hood pin connection to a good ground, but that still didn't have any effect. I haven't tried adjusting the shock sensor yet, though, so I'll do that and holla' back atchu. Thanks J.

Dane

Dane Edmonds
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Try holding the hood pin down with your hand.  It might not be adjusted properly.  Also usually there is a switch to be installed under the dash to disable the remote starter.  Check to make sure that is on and hooked up properly.
Warren Jeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

Would that be the 'starter interrupt/anti-grind' relay that I didn't connect because I'm an incompetent moron with relays?  Because the only "switch" I have is the valet/program. Thanks for the response, brah.

Dane

Player69 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

Well I am not 100% certain how that remote start is set up but there should be no need to hook up the starter interupt to make that remote starter work.  But there should be a wire that goes to the starter wire to supply power to it.

Warren Jeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, got that wire hooked up to the starter, the only thing I  can think of is it's possibly on the wrong post on the starter solenoid. I connected it to the post that does NOT have a constant 12v+ power source, instead to the other post which does not, only when the ignition is turned. alarm and door locks work, no remote start -- posted image.

Dane  (wow, that smiley confused face makes me feel so, confused).

Dane Edmonds
Player69 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Post??  It is commoin practice to hook it up at the wires coming from the ignition switch under the dash.  Check to make sure that post goes +12v when you crank the engine.  I highly recommend gettin it at the wire at the location i suggested.  The wire should be green I believe.
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

Quote from above:  "I thought that it could possibly be that the hood pin wasn't grounded well enough so I took a length of wire and extended the hood pin connection to a good ground, but that still didn't have any effect"

The hood pin cant see ground or the RS will think the hood is open and not start.  Try disconnecting and taping the end of the hood pin wire for kicks.

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Warren Jeep 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

About the post thing: Oh. I'll make sure and get on that green wire right quick, and to think I dun gone and smudged up my pants underneath my car. If that don't work, then I'm saying to hell with the damn thing because in that case I'll have to get an exorcist to get rid of the demon in my car's electrical system, and priests are creepyalarm and door locks work, no remote start -- posted image..  As for the hood pin disconnection, already tried it but thanks anyway. You guys are the greatest. Incompetent, broke fools like me shouldn't be doing this stuff.

Dane

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic