icon

wiring trunk pin switch to door trigger

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

I am wondering if this is the correct way to do this... I want to splice into the trunk light ground and run that to the (-) door trigger input. Run diodes on that wire and also at the door switch (which actually runs to my domelight wire. Please let me know if this is correct or not. Thanks.

2002 Cavalier

Asianwolf8000RS

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Not really but it can be done. All systems I have seen should have a negative input for hood/trunk already there. But as long as you diode isolate the wires the alarm will sound when it picks up the negative so yes..it will work.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
Just as long as the (-) from the trunk is'nt present at all times..[when the trunk is closed...
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Well I was also thinking of doing as you said and use the hood pin wire and just diode into that wire. But I have remote start, so as long as my trunk is opened, I wont be able to remote start correct?
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
you are correct
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
worse than that, if you pop your trunk while the car is running (with RS) it will shutdown
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

You all are thinking of the negative shutdown wire vs. the hood/trunk trigger negative input wire.

True, if you connected a negative trunk wire to the shutdown you would have a problem...but the trigger input would work just fine. On many systems the negative shutdown also functions as a trigger as well..but this is not the same thing as the hood/trunk negative trigger input..which is designed for the purpose of protecting those points and still allow the RS to function properly.

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
That is why I want to use the door trigger. Now I went out in the freezing cold to try something out. I cut and spliced a wire into the black negative wire at my trunk light. I cut the negative door trigger wire (which runs to the domelight). I ran that trigger wire to the wire I spliced into the trunk light negative just to see if it works. Heres the results...... When the trunk is closed with the alarm armed, nothing happens. When the alarm is armed and I manually open the trunk, nothing happens. But when I put the 2 door trigger ends back together, then the system goes off. Now I honestly have no clue what to do. Anyone have sugestions?
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

obviosly you are on the wrong wire in the trunk..you need to use a DMM to find out whats going on..everything else is just guesswork.

Also again,.....you are confusing the negative shutdown wire with the negative hood/trunk trigger input. If the trunk uses a negative trigger when OPEN... tie to that wire. If the trunk trigger is positive..you need to tie into the positve trigger wire for that. Use the negative SHUTDOWN wire for the hood..it's really that simple. But regardless you need to determine the proper wire and its polarity when the trunk is open before proceeding any further. Good Luck

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2007 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

Also..you never mentioned the vehicle..certain american cars used a mercury tilt sensor to turn on the trunk light..which is internal..really no good way to tap into it, the wire running to it is constant 12v positive..of no use to the alarm trigger..if thats the case you need to mount your own pin and connect it to the NEGATIVE HOOD/TRUNK trigger INPUT wire.....and once again connect the negative SHUTDOWN wire to the hood pin. The doors seem fine so leave those connected as is.

Now post what kind of car it is and perhaps we can tell you the color and polarity.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic