icon

x over?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote; ...in terms of quality of the electrical connection.  Period.  It has nothing to do with the audio signal quality...

Electrical connection, audio signal. Nothing to do with each other, eh? A quality audio signal requires a quality connection. Period. Solder is not as good a conductor as bare metal to metal. Solder in between bare metal to metal is not as good conductor as without it. That's all I say!

DYohn wrote; How are PCBs assembled?

My answer; In mass quantities, along with most commercial electronics. Build quality, to them, is not as important as getting it out of the door onto the shelf. This doesn't defend what you are saying in any way! You basically just wrote, 'Yeah, i'm not making any sense!' I'm by all means not trying to offend anyone. As I wrote before; solder is not an acceptable conductor, why is it so highly regarded? I mean yeah, it might help get a 'perfect' signal through the 'joint', but is by far, once again, by far, nothing compared to a simple tight connection. But wait, jmelton86, solder helps create a secure connection! Wrong! Solder is merely a corrosion preventative. -contrary to all belief!- It simply covers the high-corrosion areas such as thin wires that are crimped or twisted together to prevent oxidation which leads to corrosion which leads to - a bad connection.

My final thought: Solder is neither a conductor or an 'epoxy', or 'weld', of any kind. It is simply a wannabe of the two.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
Dude... Spectron amplifiers, arguably among the BEST amplifiers on the PLANET, and in the same category, I would include Halcro, Crown, Adcom, Bryston, Aragon... SERIOUSLY, you need to take a look at how ALL of those are assembled. Not a ONE of those products is point-to-point wired. Circuit boards found in all of them. I know for a fact that the Aragon, Spectron, and the Halcro are ALL hand assembled with... wait for it... SOLDER. The distances that any electrical signal MAY (OK, does) have to travel through in any given soldered connection is SO short, that the chances of it "messing" with the signal in SUCH a significant manner so as to HEAR it... Ain't gonna happen. I'll give you that you wouldn't ever use a length of solder as a speaker wire, or indeed even as a low level signal carrier, but as a connection? You are WAY over-analyzing it's purpose as well as it's capabilities.
Bare metal to metal, BTW, is a VERY incomplete connection, FAR worse (atomically speaking) than solder. The INSTANT any metal is exposed to air, it corrodes... That's right, it OXIDIZES. So really, you have oxide to oxide, with all of it's associated jackings, including capacitance, inductance, rectifications (that's right - DIODE simulations... Yes, they are in there...) Solder contains rosin, which when melted washes away this oxide coat, and allows the solder to flow in behind it, in an air-free environment, and prevents the oxide coat from even existing in a connection. So, you see, in THAT respect, solder (properly applied) is a FAR superior connection to "bare metal" contacts. There is ONE option to exceed the mechanical AND electrical superiority of a soldered connection, and that is a hot rosined (to remove oxide coat FIRST), cold welded joint. These are EXTREMELY difficult to implement correctly, and you will never be able to tell, without X-Ray inspections, whether the connection truly is cold welded. Solder is a far easier, and 95+% of a cold welded joint. For the effort and expense involved? Solder. You can even use silver solder, which has no lead in it (the worst of the conductive parts in all flavors of solder, I'll grant you.)
Mechanically, in a harsh, VIBRATING environment like, say, oh, A CAR (Wha...? A CAR?!?!), solder will provide a FAR better mechanical connection than a twisted bare metal connection.
Do me a favor... Look inside a crimp connector sometime... I don't really care WHAT type of connector... What is it's construction? I'll tell you what it's construction is... pretty much ALL of them are tinned copper tubes, (tinned with what? solder!) with a plastic cover. Crimp caps are aluminum tubes... GAH... Aluminum. Aluminum mated in CLOSE ATOMIC PROXIMITY (i.e. MASHED) to copper... can you say galvanic action!?! Yeah.. NOT good. I'll take the soldered connection. (My nickname at work is Mr. Wizard. I'll talk about this kind of stuff all day long (or all night long, which it happens to be right now...))
::::EDIT::::
Only 250 watts for 80Hz and up?? I have 370 watts to EACH MIDBASS... 125 watts to each midrange, and 125 watts to each tweeter (my math tells me that is 500 watts for 300Hz and up...). Yeah, I can say "Headroom". Let's see... I think I paid 400.00 for the mid-bass amp, 180.00 for the mid/tweet amp, the Adire 6.8's were free, as were the Vifa 4 inch mids, and I think I recall 80.00 for the JL fabric dome tweeters... So for only 260 dollars more than you you spent, (or half again as much) I got over 1.2kW of Eclipse power, (2.4 times the power for 50% more money... I got the better deal, I think) and three way systems in the doors... I don't even want to TELL you about the signal processing capabilities... And I have not even installed the subs, yet. Those are TCSounds TC-1000 tens, on an Eclipse DA-7232 4kW Digital amplifier. Oh, and guess what? It's all installed and assembled with (gasp) SOLDER! Are you REALLY gonna put Clarion, Jensen and Vibe against Eclipse? 1: You're gonna get CREAMED, and 2: you got took, paying 500 dollars for that stuff... Especially if you bought it on eBay.
Still wanna brag?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  

Whoa there, buddy! I am merely a novice giving my opinion; -usually that works!-x over? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Haemphyst wrote; I'll give you that you woldn't ever use a length of solder as a speaker wire, or indeed even as a low level signal carrier... -this, amongst all the ramblings, is all I was trying to say. So thank you for summing it up for me!

My final thought: Solder is neither a(n) audiophile-grade conductor or an 'epoxy', or 'weld', of any kind. It is simply a wannabe of the two.

I do agree that it's a must in heavily vibrated(ha ha, he said vibrated) environments, cars...

Now, about me bragging. I didn't even list my 'talkers'. The $500 I spent (yes, I was rounding up), included all speakers (23 drivers), wiring, box materials, connectors... everything! That is something I can brag about b/c most people paid 4 times that for Alpine clarity! Don't you think that for under 500, a numb spine and ringing(cause it's loud, not distorted) ears is enough to brag about?

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  

And the fact that you are a novice makes me wonder why you hold tight to such wrong-headed opinions.  Your statements appear ignorant lacking real-world experience.  You appear to have read something that you liked the sound of and now you defend it as truth.  You are wrong.  Go get some education and experience and learn about electronics and electricity before you come here trying to sound like an expert.  You are not.

Oh, and a "numb spine and ringing ears" is more a sign of stupidity and failure to understand the effects of high dbSPL and distortion on the human body than it is anything an "audiophile" would create.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
1: You cannot make audiophile response curves with 23 drivers, simple as that. True audiophilia uses as few drivers as possible. Period. 23 drivers might get you loud, but your response curve is all OVER the place, I promise you.
2: You say 250 watts of Alpine power... What amps are you running? Unless you bought used, I know of NO Alpine amplifiers that would fit into that 500 dollar bill. And as soon as I mentioned Clarion, Jensen and Vibe (which were all the amplifier models that USED to be in your sigline) your sigline changed... conveniently enough.
C: I still don't know what the hell "talkers" are.
jmelton, please, we all learn around here, I learn something new almost everyday on this forum. I don't know if you have read any of the profiles of any of the people you are verbally butting heads with, but I can assure you that they are some of the smartest people I have ever threaded with, and DYohn, I have met personally. His CV speaks for itself. Also some of us are more observant than you might want to give us credit for.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2007 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

DUDE(jmelton), you should back down now, because you are clearly in over your head. Sit back and LEARN, because that is why we are all here!!

jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
That's cool and is why we're all here. I do have loud (250wrms) Alpine sound. I was very fortunate to come across this deal. Thanx everyone. -Talkers is lammo for 'speakers'.
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic