icon

using different size woofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stefin22 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if anyone could give me some info. I was asked by a friend of mine, "Hey! what if we used and 8" a 10" and a 12" woofer in my car all at the same time?" I don't know if this is correct but my theory is that in a set up like this we would be able to have consitant bass at all lower frequencies. Any thoughts?????
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

Can't hurt to try and find out. Phasing might be an issue (cancellation) but considering some home speakers do something similar to this it may work ok. The thing is the speakers are crossed over to minimize "overlap" and avoid cancellation..the frequencies an 8'', 10'' and 12'' sub can reproduce are pretty close so using cross overs is probably a waste. If you try this make sure they do not share the same air space..I could see that causing the smaller subs of over excurt.

Lets us know what happens if you do this..personally I find one 10'' enough to cover all the sub freqs. needed to enjoy music.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
PERFECTLY acceptable to do... Use the search function, this has been discussed ad nauseum several times.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
I say no.  A 12" alone will handle all the frequencies you want in the sub bass dept.  Does a 8" play a 100 Hz tone better than a 12"?  No.  Does a 10" play a 80 Hz tone better than a 12"?  No.  But...does a 12" play a 30 Hz tone better than either of the other two?  Usually (as there are always exceptions to the rule), YES.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stefin22 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks to all. I'll discuss it with my friend and see what he decides to do. If I do it I'll let you know how it works out.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

What if you used an ultra high end 8''...a medium quality 10''...and an entry level 12''??   Would they all sound the same??  Jus kidding.  lol...but absolutly a factor if the goal in doing this was to "cover all the frequencies". Logic tells me there would be no point in doing this but experience tells me it would work..well somewhat...in other words there will be an increase in sub bass output at the frequencies the subs reproduce working together.

But then again if a basshead loves shaking the neighborhood @ 30hz I don't even think an 8'' is a consideration

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
I've built systems like that.  Running them all in the same frequency band is really rather pointless and as steve says you'll generally get much better results simply by choosing the correct woofer for the application.  If you want more output, get a bigger amp or more matching woofers.  Now if you split the frequency bands and use separate amps that is a different thing altogether and some interesting bandpass effects can be created.  A 12" sub with a decent 7" or 8" covering 80Hz to 250Hz is one of my preferred setups.
Support the12volt.com
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, that application makes some sense. When I am designing a system utilizing 10'' or 12'' subs the lower spectrum is covered. In that case if I was considering adding an 8'' to this system I would bandpass it and use it as a midbass and place it up front if possible such as in a custom enclosure cut into the floor or in the doors if possible.

I don't think there would be much advantage to install an 8'' sub in the rear if you already have 10s or 12s there as it would pull the sound stage back, not the best for sq.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

I agree.  And if the 8" were combined with the larger sub under the same crossover, it wouldn't make any difference that it were a smaller cone area driver.  Except that the sound quality would most likely suffer because of the mishmash of different driver sizes being used to produce one part of the total sound spectrum.  It's like, if you usually don't see such a sub arrangement done, there's good reasons why you don't.

Questions like your friend posed, and as it reads in your post, seem to normally come about because of the novice desire to "have the best of both worlds", or "reinvent the wheel".  They are burdened by their lack of knowledge and experience on the subject.  Like the people who can't comprehend the distinction between SQ and SPL, and so carry on with their own "SQL" terminology.  Or the beginner who strings 23 flea-market drivers around in his beater and assumes that gives him the distinction of being a newly-crowned King of car audio and recognized audiophile expert.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

You hit the nail on the head, I wish to add only one thing. A lot of people are going by myth that is created by "experts" in this industry. As the new year has followed a lot of sales reps representing different brands are about trying to push/market there new line ups for the year. It is amazing the amount of b.s. some of them spread in which rolls down hill to the sales/install staff and eventually the customer. stevdart, dyohn, hemp, forbidden etc....... you cats have enough knowledge to baffle many (inc. me :) and your information is valuable  for all especially  beginners please continue to share....

And yes a rep as early as today commented on the vast "SQL" potential of their new subwoofers for '07, I corrected him but he was mecp certified for product knowledge...........................

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic