the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

using different size woofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
Or the beginner who strings 23 flea-market drivers around in his beater and assumes that gives him the distinction of being a newly-crowned King of car audio and recognized audiophile expert.
With 250 watts of Alpine power for 80Hz and up! Uh, huh...
Ow, Ow, Ow... Damn, dude... That hurt ME, and I wasn't even in the ROOM! BWAHAHAHAHA
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
Why does every single rep that comes in my store try to push "power acostics" on me?  No means No...lol
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
I'm proud of the fact I put my 23 driver system together. Yes, 80Hz and up is all Alpine powered. It may not be what you 'experienced' guys prefer but coming from a poor-boy standpoint, it sounds d*mn good for everything being under $500!  That's what matters to me, so it doesn't matter to me how you feel about it. I may not have the best equipment but at least I don't say someone elses' get-up sucks, that's not right. I might suggest ways for them to sound better but im not a jerk about it. Now, not all my speakers are from the flea-market, just half of them- that's not fair!using different size woofers - Page 2 -- posted image.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

You'll upgrade.  We all do.  I know it's hard to be humble about your first major aftermarket system.  And there's a hell of a lot of us who are "poor boys" too.  Just playing around with this hobby will continually assure you of THAT status!  If I ever begin to forget that fact, my wife is right there to remind me.  ;)  Start with the cars, then take the hobby into the family room with HT...I've got discarded speaker projects all over the place here.  You'll have your own little speaker museum pretty soon, too.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

Hey jmelton86, what makes you think anyone was talking about you???? Do you really have 23 drivers?? If so how did anyone know?

Kidding aside, I am a FIRM believer that whatever works for the listener..is the best for them..period. I admire "do it yourselfers" even if using anything they find laying around...hey..many of us learned that way.

My first "system" was an 8'' mounted on a board...free air....not infinite baffle mind you.....just on a board. I enjoyed it so thats all that counts...until one day I found out that placing it into an enclosure would actually allow some bass reproduction to be heard...so I enjoyed it more.

It's all part of the learning process..so don't take anything to hard that you read on here...even those that seem rude or egotistical...I find they are actually very helpful, respectful, decent people.....well most of the time anyhow....: )

Take care.

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
master5 wrote:

Hey jmelton86, what makes you think anyone was talking about you???? Do you really have 23 drivers?? If so how did anyone know?

Kidding aside, I am a FIRM believer that whatever works for the listener..is the best for them..period. I admire "do it yourselfers" even if using anything they find laying around...hey..many of us learned that way.

My first "system" was an 8'' mounted on a board...free air....not infinite baffle mind you.....just on a board. I enjoyed it so thats all that counts...until one day I found out that placing it into an enclosure would actually allow some bass reproduction to be heard...so I enjoyed it more.

It's all part of the learning process..so don't take anything to hard that you read on here...even those that seem rude or egotistical...I find they are actually very helpful, respectful, decent people.....well most of the time anyhow....: )

Take care.

Dude... you're right. Well stated! <dave hangs his head with a modicum of shame...>
jmelton86 wrote:
I'm proud of the fact I put my 23 driver system together. Yes, 80Hz and up is all Alpine powered. It may not be what you 'experienced' guys prefer but coming from a poor-boy standpoint, it sounds d*mn good for everything being under $500! That's what matters to me, so it doesn't matter to me how you feel about it. I may not have the best equipment but at least I don't say someone elses' get-up sucks, that's not right. I might suggest ways for them to sound better but im not a jerk about it. Now, not all my speakers are from the flea-market, just half of them- that's not fair!using different size woofers - Page 2 -- posted image.
I, for one, apologize... You should be proud of that fact. Our comments were out of line, and we normally don't bash like that around here... We try to be quite a bit more mature than that. You dont have to spend thousands on a system (and while I did - overall - with everything counted up...) to get sound that makes YOU happy. Master5 is absolutely correct, and it really all does boil down to one simple statement: Beauty is in the eye (or around here, the ear) of the beholder. ('just half of them'... using different size woofers - Page 2 -- posted image. )
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I personally don't see the point in buying equipment that you can't sit in front of and crank up. I like the fact that mine is loud enough to drown out road noise with the windows down on the interstate, while sounding clean. That, for me, is loud enough. Like someone said before, why put $3000 in a $500 car? -Bu that's just me. It does help the economy, thoughusing different size woofers - Page 2 -- posted image.! By American made equipment, people!

Back to the top, I have always wanted to see one of these arrangements. I bet if in the right enclosure with enough power, would sound very good. 

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

If any equipment was made in America anymore...I doubt I could afford it.  But recently I purchased a ford...the bad news is that it is actually a Mazda....or is that good news? The last few fords I owned had major catastrophic mechanical problems at under 75k...the mazda just seems to 100 dollar me to death, but I recently hit the 75k mark with it..holding my breath..lol

I still have the stock deck......not even a cd player...and everytime I open the trunk I find chunks of the factory speakers surround in it. But I did install a remote start..up in NY for now and it got friggen cold. The RS is DEI...an American company...oh wait...it's all made overseas....darn.

Saving up for a system however hoping stupid unforseen catastrophies don't wipe me out. I want to mold in a double din DVD/nav unit..anyone know an American brand that makes one?  lol

haemphyst 
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
OK... Here's Dave's take on it, and it's NOT POPULAR.
My Honda's "Country(ies) of Origin" as per the sticker, when I bought it:
Domestic Content: 80%
Imported Content: 20%
Chassis and body: Marysville OH, 100%
Drivetrain: Engine, Marysville OH, 100%
             Transmission, Japan, 100%
So, you can't tell. Around 80% of all supposed "domestics" are built in Canada or Mexico (Thank you, NAFTA). If your VIN doesn't start with a "1", it wasn't built here... If you give me the argument about "Well, what about supporting your country?" When my country's economy supports ME with better quality products than I can buy "from Japan" REGARDLESS OF THE PRICE, I will start to support my country. I'd rather GIVE my money, willingly, to a Japanese (NON-UNION, I might add) autoworker, a man willing to labor on a quality product, than have an American autoworker (VERY MUCH a union player) steal it - little by little - from my back pocket. The unions have VASTLY outlived their usefulness today. For a governing body to charge a person a monthly fee (called "dues") to police an employer to make sure that person maintains his job - EVEN THOUGH that person is building a potentially (and repeatedly shown to be an) inferior product - then what kind of work ethic are we promoting for the nation? "OOH, I can pay 100 bucks a paycheck to this body of people, continue to send crap out, and I get to keep working, so I can continue to pay this body of people, and keep my job! - sending crap out!" See where I'm going with this?
Yeah... I hate unions. In Bakersfiled, there isn't a week that goes by that I can drive to work and NOT see 3 or 4 "Union Workers" leaning on a HUGE banner that says "Shame on XXX Business - Labor Dispute", JUST BECAUSE that business, while being built DIDN'T use a union house for the labor in its construction... I honk my horn, smile and wave, and then flip them off. If they have time to lean on a sign, they have time to go work, like everybody ELSE. I, personally, will ask if a service store - such as an electrician or plumber - if it's a union shop. If the answer is yes, I will hang up on them, because I KNOW I can get labor that is AS GOOD AS, or even better, in many cases, at a NON-UNION shop, and 90% of the time, for less money. Unions, in my view, are one of the VERY (if not THE very) reason(s) the costs of living are so high today.
Stepping off my soapbox now... Those are my views, and in this country, I am allowed to voice them. I'm done, I wont answer or respond again to this thread, I just needed to say "You can't tell" WHAT'S made here anymore...
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

Wow //sounds like a political view. I actually agree..well to a point. As much as we can blame the unions for the mess this country has become (IMO the middle class is soon to be gone..you are struggling paycheck to paycheck broke..or rolling in dough) is corporate greed..and companies caring more (alot more) about it's stockholders then it's customers...and WORSE .it's employees.

The only reason the big corporations (well most..can't blame em all) give any lunch breaks...paid vacations..benifiets...overtime etc..is because the LAW forces them too. I am sure many employees would prefer a pay raise in lieu of all that..and perhaps the companies as well...but do you think the stockholders would go for that??are you kidding they would legalize slavery in a heartbeat if it meant the stock go up a point. But...the big wigs??? Huge bonuses (millions)..heck..when they get fired they get millions...but if the stocks drop.......the workers are the first to go.

So for me it is a tough call...the industry I am in (installing) had never had a union..but my uncle and grandfather are NYC local 3 electricians...and the union took great care of gramps..and my uncle is still working with them...yes there is layoffs..but he gets half pay...about 1700 dollars a week.

I have been installing for almost 20 years...I earn about 200 dollars more a week take home then my first job when I was 17..it's far less then my uncle makes being laid off...and he will have a job again...in my industry with no union....everyday I consider a new carrer.

You really have to look at both sides of the coin..I am a registered independant but consider myself a libertarian...I believe in personal freedom and would fight for it..but at the same time I hate seeing the American dream become a nightmare for so many due to greed.

Now we could get into nafta and the clusterf78k that caused..and all the unfairness..cheap labor overseas that in no way can we compete..and yes..most Americans take more pride in thier beer or football team then thier work..but I know I could use a break..I love this industry but have to put food on the table..real estate/rents .... skyrocketing...fuel...up..copper...up..my pay...the same...you tell me whats up????

Thats my piece agree or not.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic