icon

457gw or the resistor trick.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
butcha 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
got a do a 791xvr in a 2000 chevy silverado on tuesday and ive been doing these trucks with resistors beetween the ORANGE / black and yellow wires but a fellow installer said i should  use  the dei 457gw, but for this truck all that 457gw gets connected to is power, ground, and violet to the bcm i dont need to connect the other  wires and the other harness do i?  (the other harness is only for cadillac the ones w/ pc3 keys right?)its so much easier with resistors i've only done a handfull of r/s and that trick is how i learned.my question to the install gods is should i use the dei 457gw?
my friends call me butcher i fear no wires that dont belong.......................
redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
use the 457GW.....using the resistors is not professional and you take away the factory anti-theft system. 
Where theres is a wire there's a way.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
The 457G is a great piece. However on the 2000 Silverado your door locks are positive triggers at the BCM. The newer GM trucks require data bus interfacing for door locks. It has been my experience that over time the resistor method can fail and require a rework of the resistor value. Pick up a GMBP, extremely easy to install and retains the integrity of the factory wiring as it requires no cutting of the passlock wiring. The GMBP is a lighter version of their GMDL-BP but does not include door lock interfacing which is not needed in that specific truck. I think once you use a GMBP for that truck you will turn to the Bypasskit.com pieces for other vehicles as well (I did).
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
butcha 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
well i would like to try products from bypasskit.com but i work at a very big retail store and all we sell is dei a lot of installers from this site recommend those kits but once again never bite the hand that feeds you lol..... just the other day i turned away a 07 tahoe for a basic alarm i wouldnt  mind doing it the way i read it from the magazine going into the switch harness but that just looks like a claim waiting to happen (not for all installers im just not self motivated enough to do installs like that yet) ne ways.. i heard the best thing to do is wait for the bypasskit to come out... maybe dei will follow...... or they have one out and im not aware of it......
my friends call me butcher i fear no wires that dont belong.......................
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
If the 457G is the only piece available to you then go ahead with it. The 457G is a fine piece, but in your application it is kind of over kill as it will only bypass the Passlock II. If you are buying from your employer at cost than that is not such a big deal, if you were buying at retail pricing the GMBP is less money and works flawlessly.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic