icon

’00 silverado security light rs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swerve 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

one of the guys i work with did a remote start on a 2000' silverado yesterday and the security light turns on after the rs is deactivated. he did the pk2 bypass using relays and resistors. it starts up fine and no lights turn on when its remote started. he's got all the ignition wires powered up and has double checked his resistance values. still the truck keeps popping that security light on after the rs is killed. any ideas on what maybe be causing this? the truck is the lowest model available, no power options at all, not even a factory alarm disarm wire at the bcm.  any help would be appreciated!

git yer swerve on!
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

If the 2nd ignition wire (white) is not hooked up it will cause the check engine light to come on and possibly damage the transmission on those trucks..however..it will work fine with the key..this problem occurs only during remote start if the 2nd ignition wire is not hooked up.

Now you seem pretty sure that this is a security light that is coming on....well..if thats the case then the vehicle should have an oem security system...otherwise why the light????

solution..........

Factory Alarm Disarm  lt. green   -   driver kick panel 

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
BTW..I doubt this problem has to do with the PK2 bypass..no way that truck would start or stay running if the r codes are wrong.
swerve 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  

will try the kick panel when the customer brings the vehicle back in on tuesday,  never though to look there for it. he said he double checked all the ignition wires, and got all three of them, i will double check this also.

the light thats turning on is on the instrument cluster on the left side in the information window. it turns yellow and says security on it. how would the factory security act up if it was already fooled to allow the rs to take place? it only comes on when the key is in the run position and the brake pedal is depressed so as to drive away.

git yer swerve on!
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
It has nothing to do with the ignition wires or the factory security!This seems to be a common problem with passlock ll-The vehicle will start if the resistance is close enough,But the security light will come on at key takeover,The solution is to get a self learning bypass module(PLJX OR GMBP).I tried the relay and resistors many times,sometimes it works and sometimes you need a bypass module.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

prdjr165 is correct.

I have never seen this particular problem before (and have done many, many of these) so perhaps I wasn't the best one to suggest anything.. I was going on sheer instinct.

green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
I have always use the resistor method for permanent bypass.....never fails.
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
swerve 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
so i take it the resistors have to be an exact match then? i believe he was going with ones that were close but not exact, i think he said it was within 5% tolerance or something like that.
git yer swerve on!
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
5% has always worked for me, just nothing over that is a good rule of thumb. Also, not a great idea to have more than 3 different resistors in series. That my opinion and experience on resistors. Try to get a single if at all possible or two in series or parallel to get the proper value.
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Tap off of the ground while running.  BEFORE YOUR BYPASS Take this to a relay, and put it to pins 85 and 87. Ground 30.

Then pin 86.....take this (with a diode in line, cathode towards the relay) to the pink ign. wire on the harness.

Now test.....

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic