the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1995 jetta diesel remote starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
habco1 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

I am trying to install a remote starter in a 1995 Jetta diesel and cannot find the glow plug wire or a tach signal strong enough. I tried the wires at the back of the instrument cluster but they did not work. Does anyone have any insight to this problem.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

Most of those require some type of tach generator.

TACH SIGNAL Lt.green In harness on left of steering column   AC 
 Provides a 4 cylinder signal.
GLO-PLUG SIGNAL GREEN / WHITE In harness on left of steering column   - 

habco1 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Those colors do not exist on this vehicle. I have found the glow plug signal at the fuse box (RED / white heavy guage) going to the glow plug fusible link. I still cannot find a compatible tach wire. Can you help?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

Check for a white behind the guage cluster.

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Or, if all else fails, "W" terminal on the alternator.
You may not have a tach signal in the normal sense unless the car is a TDI. From what I remember, the TD were non computer controlled, mechanically injected, and they didn't use a tach signal for anything. Can't remember how they generate a signal if there is a tach in the dash either....... seem to remember an injector sensor of some sort (been a while since I have been under the hood of a VW diesel that old....... most of the ones that I work on are all 99.5 or newer MKIV cars)
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
habco1 
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guy's I will try these. One question though does the remote starter have to have the option of using the alternator signal to use it or does it just use this signal in place of the tach signal?
KarTuneMan 
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ya, I remember straping onto the alt. with a tach generator. As I stated in my first post. 
habco1 
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
This might be a strange question but what are you talking about when you mention a tach generator. I have been doing these starters for qutie a few years but I have never come across this term. Can you help me out?
KarTuneMan 
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I'm not sure of other remote start manufacturers....but Astro has a module that you "strap" to the center of the alternator, in line with the stator core. It picks up on the electronic field that the alternator creates, and gives you a tach reading.1995 jetta diesel remote starter -- posted image.
habco1 
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guy's, this information is excellent as usual.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic