backup camera trick?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gc714 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

I searched with no luck. I imagine if it's possible to be done the knowledge in on this site :D

I have a new backup camera from ebay and also have my Pioneer avh p5700 combined with an avic 80 navi.

What I would like to do is wire in the camera as normal so that it automatically turns on when in reverse, but the trick part would be to be able to turn it on whenever I want as well, even when not in reverse. It would be cool when sitting at a red light or something.

Is it possible, maybe with a  12+ switch diode isolated with the reverse wire?

Thanks guys!!!

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Ya here ya go. You need a standard 5 pin relay. Hook up pin 87a to the back up light wire in the vehicle, pin 30 to the back up camera pin 87 to 12 volts, pin 85 to 12 volts and pin 86 to a switch and the other side of the switch to ground and your done.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
gc714 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  
Excellent, what about the wire to the in dash monitor?backup camera trick? -- posted image.
gc714 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
maybe 85 goes to the monitor?
spyderbyte 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Pin 30 connects to the monitor wire. How the circuit works: (if I understand it correctly)
When the switch is off, pins 87a and 30 are connected. The screen control is connected to the reverse wire. When the wire is energized (in reverse) 12v is sent to the screen to turn it on/switch to reverse view (whichever it does)
When the switch is on, pins 87 and 30 are connected, and 12 volts will be sent to the screen control.
Spyderbyte
gc714 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hahaha, I guess I'm running short on cylinders.....The camera has 1 pos, 1 neg, and a single rca. The monitor receives the single rca and has a reverse signal input wire that attaches to the back up light. Obviously grd. the neg, pos. goes to pin 30, but does pin 87a t-tap the signal input wire  as it goes to the back up lights?

Can someone please hold my hand on this one? Lol backup camera trick? -- posted image.

spyderbyte 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
gc714 wrote:

Obviously grd. the neg, pos. goes to pin 30, but does pin 87a t-tap the signal input wire as it goes to the back up lights?

That should do the trick.
Spyderbyte
gc714 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 5:45 AM / IP Logged  
Excellent!! Thanks for the help guys!!! This Sunday I should have the free time for the install
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
What turns the camera on is 12 volts on the reverse wire on the AVIC. Simply run a positve thru a switch, then tie it to the reverse wire on the AVIC. Place a diode in the wire coming from the reverse signal, band towards the AVIC, so the switch won't backfeed to the lights in the car.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
gc714 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Alright Gents!!! Talk about the cart before the horse!! I went out this evening to start the install since tomorrow I'll have limited time. Decided to power up the cam to verify it indeed works, realized I had to initiate it in the menu on my in dash unit and found out it has an input setting to see the video from the camera without needing a separate switch! Lol

I'll post back as I complete the install...Thanks for the help!! Greg

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic