icon

wiring 4 ohm and 2 ohm together

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dalfe5 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
I have a set of 2ohm components and a set of 4ohm two-ways. I want to use the 2ohm for the front and the 4ohm for the rear off of one amp. I want to wire it up with the lt front and rear together and the rt front an rear together. Does anyone see a problem with this?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Yes. 4 ohms in parallel with 2 ohms is probably too low an impedance for your amplifier. Unless it says SPECIFICALLY that it is safe running at a load of less than 2 ohms, you will be asking for trouble.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dalfe5 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
I was gonna wire it up in series based on this wiring schematic Decware / High Fidelity Engineering Co.. I am using this now but with both set of speakers being 4ohm. Sound great to me but want to use the new Infintys I have. I know you can't actually see the schematic but it tells about it in the artical. I have the actual schematic to go by.    As for my sub I am using the Deathbox with a Kicker 10L7 powered by two channels bridged on a Kicker KX850.4 at 4ohms. The frt/rear speakers are powered by the other two channels. Please let me know what you think.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 07, 2007 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

Sure, series wiring would be fine.  The amplifier will output into a 6 ohm load, and the front 2 ohm components will receive twice the power as the rears.

Run positive from the amp up to the front's crossover pos input.  From the xover neg input, run a wire to the rear speaker's pos terminal.  Then run a wire from that speaker's neg terminal back to amp neg.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
frydchkn 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  

All I have to say is "4-Channel".  You'll know what I'm talkin about when you get one.

dalfe5 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
I have the amps to go that route but I want to go with just one amp for now. I have 2 Kicker KX350.2 and one KX850.4. I am using the 850.4 now. Two channels for the frt/rear and two channels bridged for the DB. When time//health permit I am going to build another DB and use one 350.2 for the fronts and one for the rears and the 850.4 to drive the two DBs.
frydchkn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

Dalfe5,

You don't mow an acre with a push mower, when u have a john deere ride-on sitting in the garage.  You have a complete system that is pretty much matched up.  Why are you trying to manage with less components?  Its less work, not to mention less risky, to just throw both amps in at the same time, without worrying about managing connections, if or will it work? how well? how loud? how long?

I'm not trying to discourage you from reaching your goal, which at the far end I would imagine is great sound.  I would just hate to see you deprive yourself of what your amps can give you and with the same or maybe less effort than how you are trying to get it done.

dalfe5 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
Like I said in my last post, "When TIME / HEALTH permit" I will use the remainder of my equipment. As for as the lawnmower goes is if I had to work on the John Deer but was unable to do it before time to mow the grass I would use the push mower. In order for me to use the rest of my equipment I would have to do more than just hook it all up.    I would have to buld somewhere to mount the amps and crossover plus run new wiring. Thanks for everyones help.
frydchkn 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
It is what it is, and to each their own...good luck.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic