the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

fried the becu in ’06 camry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2007 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

<sigh>

(2006 Camry I-4 LE)

So I'm looking for the blue yellow wire in the blue plug to find the lock wire -- find it and test it with ground and it works just fine (I metered it turning the key in the key cylinder on the driver's door).  Then I metered another wire while unlocking (turning the key in the key cylinder obviously the other way to unlock) and though it dropped from 12.4 volts .. it only dropped to 12.1 volts then shot back up to 12.4.  So, figuring this was the wire I tapped it to ground saw a tiny spark ..

After this, the door locks (buttons on both front doors) and the toyota OEM keyfob buttons do not lock and unlock the car.  Also, the trunk won't pop with the keyfob.  In a bitter twist of irony, the car remote starts flawlessly and this install was otherwise one of the easiest I've done in a while.

1) This is my buddy's car -- he's not wizsed, just wants to know if we can save money by purchasing the BECU from Toyota and installing it ouselves.

2) I unplugged the negative terminal of the car battery for a good 10 minutes, then plugged it back in to reset the car's computer -- didn't do anything.

3) I was trying to isolate the BECU module -- and it appears that it's either built into the large beige fusebox or somewhere behind it -- any thoughts? 

Thanks guys

The search function is your friend.
peterubers 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2007 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

Oh .. and once we figure out the replacement for the BECU .. which wire is for "UNLOCK" .. i have the blue / YELLOW for LOCk (single neg pulse) .. the DEI directions state a "blue" wire that needs a double negative pulse -- there is no such blue wire in that blue plug where the blue / YELLOW wire was found.

thnks

peterubers 
Posted: March 18, 2007 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

Oh... also .. checked all the fuses in both the interior and engine bay -- all were intact.

I checked a toyota parts website .. there are a couple items that may be the BECU:  keyless entry receiver (seemed the like the closest description) -- is this it?

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 18, 2007 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
The unlock wire is indeed blue. It is in one of the five plugs in the driver's kick panel---no need to play around the fusebox to get it.
Of the five plugs in the kick panel, you can see that three of them (the three forward ones) carry the wires in from the driver's door. The blue wire is in the top plug.
And yes, on Toyotas, the body-control stuff is pretty much inside the fusebox. I know that on the Avalon, there is a smaller beige part called the Integration Relay, which controls the doorlocks.......it is attached to the fusebox, but can be detached and replaced separately. Look around on the backside of the Camry's fusebox.
If the doorlocks/trunk are the ONLY things that have been damaged, you could also probably get away with doing a 5-wire relay setup on the car's doorlock motor wires, and controlling the relays with the aftermarket remote starter.........it'd be even more work to integrate the existing Toyota doorlock switches with your relays, but it's all possible.
peterubers 
Posted: March 18, 2007 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

Chris -- thank you for your reply --

Do you have a diagram (or a link) as to how I could wire this five wire setup?  I know currently it's a "type B" door lock system (is that three wire?)

Do you have access to a wiring chart that identifies colors of wires for the four doors/doorlock systems?  Thanks bro

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2007 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
LOCK Blue / YELLOW In driver's kickpanel   - 
 BLUE / YELLOW is located in a 13-pin blue connector and BLUE is located in a 20-pin white connector. (See the photo).
 UNLOCK Blue (double pulse) In driver's kickpanel   - 
 BLUE / YELLOW is located in a 13-pin blue connector and BLUE is located in a 20-pin white connector. (See the photo).
Disreguard the part that say "see the photo" I can't post that!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: March 19, 2007 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

You basically shorted out a 12vdc wire to ground.

Have you measured the wire again since you shorted it out?  It should still read 12vdc.  If it doesn't try hooking 12vdc to it (through a 3A fuse). 

One of several things most likely happened here -

1. You blew a fuse/fusable link that you can't find/isn't accessible
2. You burnt the traces off of the circuit board (unlikely in this case)
3. You damaged some severely (unlikely in this case)

Todays cars are very tolerent to short circuits, its a requirement the OEM puts on its suppliers.  Nothing should be permanently damaged by touching it to ground for 0.8 seconds (typical unlock length).

If it were me, I would check to see if you have 12vdc on the wire you made your connection to and pray that you don't have any voltage.  Like I said, I would then supply 12vdc though a small fuse to that wire, what do you have to lose at this point?  If this fixes the problem I would then do as much research as possible to find out what exactly went wrong.  If you can get a hold of a factory service manual you can find any fuses/fusable links in the line, and you can also find out exactly what that wire does.  If it rests with 12vdc on it is most likely the power supply for the keyless module or something like that.

Good luck!

Kevin Pierson
peterubers 
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

Kpierson:

First off, thank you for your reply -- good info:

Yes, I re-measured the wire and it does it reads as 0vdc.  Prior to the short, it read 12.4vdc.  At this point, you're right, there is nothing to lose -- worst case: we buy another integration relay unit (BECU) or whatever Toyota calls that part.  Hopefully providing 12vdc through a 3amp fuse will restore power.

Thanks guys

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

Thats about the best thing that could have happened.  You've, in essence, found the problem (no voltage on a wire that should be powered).  This is most likely due to a blow fuse. 

Were you using a relay out?  If you were using a (-) 200mA output I would be a little concerned still, but if you were using a 15A relay out then I would almost guarentee it was a fuse/fusable link somewhere in the car.

Toyota has a very good technical site.  You can sign up for a 24 hour pass and download electrical drawings.  It may be worth the price!

Kevin Pierson
peterubers 
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

Kevin --

I downloaded the service manual and found the plug that I fried a wire in -- it's supposed to be reading 10 - 14vdc constant (and of course, now, it is reading 0 vdc).  It's a power line to the Body ECU.  I'll keep you all informed of my progress, thank you again

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic