icon

aiming the subwoofer box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
inflames989 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Well, as many of you know, the argument of whether the direction the subs are aimed in the trunk changes the decibel intensity or not is quite a heated argument. The guy over at installer.com did an excellent writeup on the topic ( link)
Nonetheless, being a senior in high school, I had to do a science fair project and thus chose to complete a similar experiment. Although I'm sure to many of you my results aren't anything ground breaking, after winning Best in Fair out of over 500 entrants I just figured I'd share my results with the community. I'm more than open to comments and criticism as to how to improve the experiment / results...
Setup: Two 12inch 4ohm DVC Kicker CompVR speakers wired in parallel, mounted in a 3.68243 cubic foot ported box (sorry, don't have port dimensions atm). I recorded a 65hz sine wave at 0db and played it through the head unit.
Amplifier: Orion 300D
Results (db(c) vs. frequency):
Trunk-facing:
aiming the subwoofer box -- posted image.
Cabin-facing:
Merged:
Analysis:
Cabin-Facing: Reflected Wave causes destructive interference because of its out-of-phase reflection
Trunk-Facing: Reflected Wave is nearly in-phase and thus causes constructive interference and a higher intensity wave
inflames989 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
Edit: Apparently (as of this moment) the larger-size pictures are not working...I'll fix them tomorrow after school (around 2pm est)...sorry for the delay
inflames989 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
If a moderator could edit the original post for me that would be awesome...here are the updated pics:
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Nothing's working for you quite right HERE, but congratulations on winning best in show at your fair. Please tell the forum how you accomplished the testing.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
inflames989 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
oooohh, the forums were filtering the url of my website (which hosts the pictures) because it has the "s" word in it
here comes another try:
Trunk-aimed trial:
Cabin-aimed trial:
Merged results:
CAD drawing of cabin-aimed setup wave (blue = initial wave, red = reflected wave)
CAD drawing of trunk-aimed setup wave (blue = initial wave, red = reflected wave)
Procedure:
First, I folded down the back seats so that there would be the least resistance between the microphone and the speakers. I then moved the subs so that they were located 4.5 inches from the back wall of the trunk, and aiming backwards (away from the interior of the car). Then, I sat in the drivers seat with a laptop and taped the microphone to the center console (so that the location would remain constant). On the laptop I had "DSSF3" software, which has a built in oscilloscope so I could see the wave as it was picked up by the microphone. Then, after burning the 65hz sine wave I generated onto a cd, I played the cd through the head-unit on "Level 8." While yes, level 8 is an arbitrary number, by using it I knew it would remain at a constant output level and be the same for all of the tests. I then took a screenshot of the oscilloscope, and saved it for reference. Following that, I rotated the speakers 180 degrees so that they were facing the exact opposite direction (i made sure the location of the box remained at 4.5 inches from the back wall of the trunk) and once again, played the cd and recorded the results. I then did the same exact tests, except this time with the head-unit on "Level 15." These results, however, I did not include because the mic was overloaded by the volume and thus gave skewed results.
I then decided to draw the actual wave so I could provide a physical image as to what was happening. Knowing that the frequency was 65hz, and the speed of sound is ~1087ft/sec, I could conclude that the wavelength was 200.6769in (velocity=(frequency*wavelength)). With this information, I loaded up AutoCAD and drew the exact wave as it was projected out of the box for both the cabin-facing and trunk-facing trials. Seeing the wave in the cabin-facing trial, I noticed how out-of-phase the reflected wave was when it bounced off the back wall in the cabin-facing trial. Contrastingly, I also saw how much more in-phase the initial and reflected waves were in the rear-facing trial, and could therefore conclude that the waves were causing constructive interference and a resulting higher intensity output.
Conclusion: Aiming your subwoofers towards the trunk and placing them as close to the back end of the trunk as possible produces the highest intensity wave.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
I'm still skeptical. I know that I have heard the "aimed front/rear" differences, but I am not terribly certain why. I see it in peoples posts, all over the 'net, but until I do it for myself, I'll just remain jaded.
I'm seriously going to have to figure this out for myself, someday. If it stops raining here in the valley by the weekend, I might just go out and try some of these experiments myself... Maybe saturday'll be my "someday". aiming the subwoofer box -- posted image. I've got my TrueRTA, my ECM8000, my USBPre, my Philips Aurilium, my laptop, my latest subwoofer build, my oscilloscope, and my 100A milspec power supply, with adjustable voltage outputs.
I'll get to the bottom of this! LOL More details to follow...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

I need a better feel of what I'm looking at in those two diagrams with the black background.  In each one there is a green arrow.  What does that represent, exactly, and what should I look at that is representative of the 4.5" space?

The other question that came to mind is:  what is the depth of the speaker box, and does that have an impact at all with this test?  When you rotated the box 180 degrees, the driver was moved to a position relative to the box depth.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
inflames989 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
In the two diagrams with the black background, the "green arrow" is actually just a poor representation of the speaker inside the box. I figured it would be more clear showing a make-shift speaker inside the box than just having sine waves shooting out.
As for the 4.5" space, that's just showing that the distance between the box and the back wall of the trunk remained constant throughout the tests. Knowing that, I believe that also answers your last question. The box was always 4.5" from the back wall of the trunk, even after rotating it. Looking back, I'm wondering if it would have been a better idea to leave the driver in a constant location, rather than just the distance from the back of the trunk. I might have realized that earlier on, except the box barely fits in my trunk as it is, so I know that keeping the drivers in a constant position is out of the question for me.
inflames989 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
EDIT: If the drivers were in the same position, then I am 99% sure the decibel output would be the same. HOWEVER, in the trunk of a car, it's impossible to get the driver as close to the back wall of the trunk in a cabin-facing setup than in a trunk-facing setup. The main idea is to try and get the speaker as close to the back of the trunk so that the reflected wave is reflected as soon as possible and bounces into an in-phase pattern.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking at your black images again, and you show that the wavelength is 200 inches, which you stated was 65Hz. (It's a little off, as the speed of sound at STP is 1127 ft/s - so the actual wavelength is 208 in. or 17.3 feet) At a wavelength like that, the interior of a car CAN'T cause a reinforcement... I honestly don't see how it could. ANY time the cabin/venue becomes smaller than the wavelength, you are now dealing with pressure, not sound (if that makes any sense...). Not only that, but if your box is not large enough to move the woofer 1/8 of one wavelength, I can't see WHY it does what everybody SAYS it does...
Like I said... experimentation will be in order this weekend...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic