icon

truck subwoofer box design/placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

i recently put ports into a buddy of mine's sealed box, he wanted ports. box was 1.25 cu ft so its tuned really high to about 47hz i believe. he likes them because they are louder but they dont have any low end bass to them. so im going to build him a box for his ford ranger. what is the best way to face to ports/ subwoofers to make it the loudest. right now he has two rockford p2 12" faced to the rear with the ports facing the sides of the truck. they are loudest with the doors open. any ideas would be great, thanks

two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
last truck I did was woofers up and ports forward. I think some people call this alignment a CRX-type box
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
yes, but is that ideal for trucks? btw this truck is an extendad cab if u didnt figure that out. ur talkin ports toward the front, wouldnt they be better facing the rear? thanks for the reply
two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  

I can't really see any harm in firing the port to the rear as long as it is not blocked or firing to close to something..like the back wall.

All else considered and being equal a port is just a tube that air moves through so as long as the air entrance or exit is enough to allow max volume of airflow, it would make no major difference...simply put the port doesn't really care where it is, it works in tandom with the driver at resonant frequency. Tuning and proper volume should be your paramount concern if looking for the best performance.

Now a piece of info I heard years ago from a teah at Bazooka Tubes is that by them placing the port on the same plane and close to the woofer, as well as firing the tube as far back into a corner as possible would give a "loading" effect...which basically meant an increased bass output. They claimed this would let a smaller speaker perform as if it were larger. However, I don't think this would work in a truck cab as it would in lets say a hatchback or trunk vehicle...so you may want to experiment with placements to see what gives the most bass.

Hope I helped.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
yes thank you, would the subs be (sound) louder if they where up higher in the cab as to say not on the floor?
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

There is a chance of course they would sound as loud as all heck if right behind the listeners head...but..will it sound good?? That should really be the question.

I have had excellent results in ext. cab pickups using ported enclosures and firing them down (subs and ports). I build the enclosure so the subs are raised off the floor and the ports have plenty of room to "breath". As a side benefit you gain added room on the front and/or top of the enclosure to flush mount other system components. This in my experience has yielded the best results, other then doing a bed-cut...which is my specialty and just about my favorite thing to do as far as audio installation.

Unfortunatly too many customers won't let me cut..I guess they think thier trucks are some kind of collector items that will lose value..but no..these are not 1970 4-speed hemi cudas...just beaters..I say cut it. Then you can get tons of bass and lose no room in the cab as well. But if not try my suggestion and you'll be happy with it.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
alrighty ill ask him what he wants, he likes watching the subs during excursion but idk. thanks for the advise.
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

He may like watching the subs but I bet he'd rather have good sound and improved low bass.

As an option offer to custom mount mirrored plexi under the box and light it up with some neon or LED's. Then he can watch em in style. If you experiment with multiple mirrors and angles you can even give the illusion of lots more subs has you look under the box. That can't be a bad thing, right?

Best of luck with it.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  
had an idea kind of like that lol. thanks alot. should the box be mounted like what? a good four inches above the floor? more?
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah 4'' to 6'' has worked for me.
Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic