icon

mobile scanner reception

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vettitude 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2007 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

I have an '04 Dodge Ram 4 door.  I have an Alpine HU installed with class D amp mounted behind the back seats powering subwoofers behind the seats.  I installed a scanner for police/fire scanning.  I mounted a seperate anntena for that on the back glass.  My problem is that I have bad AM/FM reception on the radio and the scanner reception is good unless I turn the radio on.  If I am picking up a transmission and turn the radio on it the signal is not close I lose it altogether.  Something is interfering the reception and I don't know where to go from here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J Wett
jeffwhiteman 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  

as a test, try disconnecting the glass mounted scanner antenna, replace that with a direct connect antenna such as a magnetic mount or rubber antenna. you may be leaking some signal thru the glass.

Also try regrounding the scanner if its not portable

Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Is the scanner a portable or an actuall mobile scanner? I used to use a Y cable from the exterior am/fm anenna on the car. Most scanners that were used [at that time] had the smae connector as the am / fm did. If not then put an actuall roof mount antenna on it.
scanners in genaral have a pretty wide open reciver on them and are really suseptable to interferance of all kinds.. It could be somehing with the subs magnets and turning the radio on fires the amps in the back doing "something" But why would you have bad am/fm reception? The scanner has NOTHING to do with that..
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic