icon

sealed enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mansue 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
If i wanted to make my own box how can i assure that it will be sealed? is there anything that i can put on/or in it?
Thanks.
mark
Mark Tran
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
I use Liquid Nails, and make your cuts straight. If this is your first box, and I assume it is by your question, make sure you build it to the specs of the sub you are going to use in it.
'85 Toy
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2007 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
I hate liquid nails...too messy.
Seal up all the seams with silicon caulk
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
  liquid nails will also add to the strength of the box.  silicone will only seal it. 
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
ra0062 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
I use gorilla glue, it expands as it drys. It strengthens and seals. It's kind of a pain if you get it on your hands, and you have to sand it off the outside the joints. It's surprising how it can expand so much.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
Another vote for silicone sealant along every seam.  If your enclosure needs something like liquid nails to give it strength, it must be very poorly constructed.  IMO.
Support the12volt.com
ra0062 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
I always go to a lot of extra effort to make a box solid as possible. I always use dado, rabbet, or lap joints. I know this is all more than necessary, but thats the fun part for me. That way I can buy more tools and router bits.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Another vote for silicone sealant along every seam. If your enclosure needs something like liquid nails to give it strength, it must be very poorly constructed. IMO.
agreed...your cuts must be pretty sloppy....with a clean cut and tight fit up...any wood glue will do perfectly fine and easier to clean up and finish.
Anyone here try to sand liquid nails before??? yeah not so easy
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 5:36 AM / IP Logged  
Other considerations in making an enclosure:  mount the driver using foam speaker gasket, against the bare wood (not against carpet).  If using screws in the construction, also use glue.  Caulk wire openings all the way through the wood.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

I always fiberglass the inside of all my boxes.

I use 1/2" MDF (everyone always says use 3/4", I cannot hear a difference and extra weight and volume it takes up simply isn't worth the stuff), then, depending on the box size and what sort of power I plan on using, 2 - 4 coats of fiberglass resin all over the inside.  Maybe 3/4 ~ 1 liter of resin in total.

The Liquid Nail and Silicone and what-not are all fine and good, but I have to reiterate what aznboi said... Liquid Nail on the outside of your box is impossible to sand away and seriously screws up a paint job.  Really irritating stuff to work with if it starts seeping through joints.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic