icon

major problem with rsx doorlocks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
Hi I have a 2006 Acura RSX type s. All of a sudden out of nowhere, my doorlocks started acting up. I have a ultrastart u4366m alarm/remote start that i installed myself. I have installed many alarms and starters before so thats not the problem here. Anyways the proble is my doorlocks only work when the key is in the ignition on position or if the engine is actually running. Pressing the buttons either on the ultrastart remote or the actual factory unlock and lock button with the ngine off or the key out will yied no reaction from the car at all, no sounds or anything. I don't know how anything could be wrong with the install as the system worked perfectly for a few months.Why would the locking system in the car stop working with the ignition off? I checked the fuse for the locking system and like i thought it was good as the locks do work with the car on. Today I did replace the headunit with a jvc kd-hdr1 so I could play my ipod and satellite radio wihout fm mod static. But the locks even worked for a few min after this install. Besides what could I of hit working in the area of the radio on this car. I did run a 14 gauge wire to the battery to supply the headunit with power to avoid the alternator noise that honda ystems are famous for but again I was careful running this wire and I used a existing grommet in the dash. And again the locks stil worked after the radio install. It was a few min later that I just tried them and they were dead. But even if I nicked some wires which I almost certainly did not wouldnt that just incapacitate the locks completely? Why do they only work with the ignition on? Any help is appreciated from some of the experienced guys on here because if I have to take this to the Acura dealership which I am planning on needing to already, I know they are going to try to blame the alarm or something else and not cover this under warranty. Thanks in advance
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  

Did you try just disconnecting the brain from the 4 or 5 ultrastart wiring harnesses and then testing the acura doorlocks (at the door and w/ the keyfob)?

Sounds like a BECU/SECU problem since the doorlocks are working with the key in the "III" position.  Did you have to diode isolate anything during the install?  Door triggers?

I think it's somehow the ultrastart brain -- try disconnecting this and testing the OEM Acura keyfob as well as the doorlock buttons on the drivers/passenger door.  Did you disconnect the car's battery prior to the headunit install -- if so perhaps that momentarily dropped power to the defective ultrastart brain until it started acting up again?  I would meter the lock/unlock wires as well and see what it happening when you press the door lock/unlock buttons on the door itself.  I would also meter the GREEN/ blue wires off the ultrastart brain doorlock three pin plug and see if they are dropping to ground (-) after you press either lock/unlock.

The search function is your friend.
peterubers 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Also .. did you have the ignition autolock feature enabled?
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

I've seen this in newer mitsubishis........a fuse under the hood blows.....when the ignition is turned on, the door locks work perfect....when the key is turned off, the keyless and door lock switch do not function. I would check all of your fuses, including the ones under the hood.

peterubers 
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

On the rsx forums you can find a *.pdf of the RSX service manual with EWD (electrical wiring diagrams) .. that'll tell ya which power sources power the door control/keyless entry unit .. usually there are several power sources w/ several different fuses that would ultimately affect it's performance.

If you do find a blown fuse... you still have to find the source of the short in the circuit ... check that brain.

csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you guys for the responses. I did diode isolate the trunk and both door triggers properly. Bear in mind that this setup worked great for some time. I do not believe it is the ultrastart brain, here is why. I do have the ignition autolock and unlock programed on. When I turn the ignition on then the doors lock. If i turn the ignition off then they do not unlock because The entire locking system is dead with the key off. When the key is in the on position the ultrastart locks and unlocks the door fine. I don't even think metering the wires will tell me anything I don't know already. The wires will almost certainly be dead when the key is off. I checked the door lock fuse under the hood and it is fine. Nothing was touched on the alarm brain and all wires are secure. If something was cut or loose then the problem would not be resolved by turning the car on. I did not disconnect the battery during the headunit install. I dont think anything mechanically is wrong, it seems more of a programming issue but I may be wrong. When I ran the wire to the battery for the headunit I unscrewed the positive terminal screw but I think the battery was connected as the metal was on the metal the whole time. Also peterrubers, I dont really know how to go about finding a short. Do you believe that is what it is? How would the entire doorlocking system come to life just by turning on the ignition, keep in mind it is totally dead when the car is off. Also I checked the owners manual with the fuse locations and only one seems to be for the locks. It's a 15 amp fuse which is perfectly fine and operational. Any more help to save me the incredible financial burden of getting screwed by a acura dealer is appreciated. Also I have a ton of schoolwork due so I don't have that much time to test all the wires and play with it. Anymore help is greatly appreciated and thank you to everyone that has responded thusfar.
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
Also I see that you suspected the ultrastart brain. You may be right but no door lock wires were cut during the install, I simply tapped into the wires. Also how would the diode isolating come into play here? The diodes wouldnt reactivate with the ignition on plus that is just the trigger. How should I fix the becu or secu. I might try and disconnect the ultrastart brain but I am not expecting any miracles from that. Cause the brain is functioning perfectly all the time and I am sure it is triggering the lock and unlock of the car at the appropriate time but since the locking system is dead the car is unresponsive. With the ignition on, the ultrastart locks and unlocks the doors by remote perfectly. That is why I think its a becu or secu issue. If someone has seen this happen with this car before(I bet that is unlikely)and fixed it I would be overjoyed to hear how.
mikvot 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

As mentioned by peterubers and me, it could be any of the fuses that are causing your problem, not just the one for the power door locks. You need to check all of your fuses in the vehicle. I'm not saying this is the problem, but this is where you need to start.

csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so do you have any recommendation about which fuses are more likely to be the culprits here. I am assuming that checking the headlight fuse will not be necessary, am I correct? Mikvot did you manage to fix those mitsubishis? Which fuse was blown in those cases?
mikvot 
Posted: March 30, 2007 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
when i test fuses, i dont even look at what they are for....i just get to testing. Yes, on the mitsu i figured it out...(all my new guys seem to blow one when they start working on these cars)....It took a while to find the fuse, because i couldn't understand why the locks would work with the key on, but not with the key off....same as yours. Thought it was something worse. I would just go through all of the fuses to be safe, no point of skipping any....should only take a few minutes if you have a dmm. Hopefully, this is what is causing your problem, but either way, checking all fuses is a good starting point.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic