icon

easy way to add mid bass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hellbass212 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2007 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add mid-bass to my setup? I'm talking 100 hz or so. My idea consists of one 8-inch in a ported box right behind rear seat facing forward. Just a new idea, I think it would work but i'd like some input. (my subs are in the trunk facing rear) Thanks for any input.
Clarion DXZ665mp,Lanzar 2000D,2 Powerbase Extreme 12",Pioneer 5.25" - TS-C503
JL Audio e4300,Fosgate Power 6x9,5 Farad Cap,2 Optima Yellow,205 Amp Alt
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 01, 2007 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Get some midbass speakers and add them up front.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2007 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

Bring the low pass x-over on subs up to about 90-100 hertz with shallow slope of about 12dB/octave and see what happens.

Adding dedicated mid bass drivers is a bit more complicated than one thinks. You will need a band passable dedicated channel of amplification, as well more processing for the current speakers. Essentially you will need to go to an active three way system. Do able yes, complicated yes, but try other solutions with your current gear first.

aznboi3644 
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

Bring the low pass x-over on subs up to about 90-100 hertz with shallow slope of about 12dB/octave and see what happens.

Adding dedicated mid bass drivers is a bit more complicated than one thinks. You will need a band passable dedicated channel of amplification, as well more processing for the current speakers. Essentially you will need to go to an active three way system. Do able yes, complicated yes, but try other solutions with your current gear first.

He didn't mention anything about sound quality or anything...so I suggested the easiest route..lol
It may sound like crap but will have more midbass lol
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
  yeah, i don't think you will get what you are hoping for out of 1-8".  and your crossover points will need to be adjusted, as well as more channels/bandpass crossovers to run the 8's.  it gets alittle more tricky when you go this route.  but, if you have time and $ to play with- once you get it all tuned out, it will sound much cleaner, and fuller.  you would be best to run a pair of 8's (or 6's) up front.  i have done just a pair of rear 8's bandpass before in my other car, and it did add alot and sounded great, but didn't put you "in the middle" like it does when they are up front.   
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

Get some better 5.25" speakers -with good excursion- up front. Poly-bag them. This will probably do it.

1 8" won't do any justice either. You would need 2 8's to get stereo sound. You said you'd put the 8" behind you, facing forward? This would do no good for imaging in the first place...

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
aznboi3644 
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
jmelton86 wrote:

Get some better 5.25" speakers -with good excursion- up front. Poly-bag them. This will probably do it.

1 8" won't do any justice either. You would need 2 8's to get stereo sound. You said you'd put the 8" behind you, facing forward? This would do no good for imaging in the first place...

jmelt, you know what poly-bagging is also???
Not many people know what that is haha...it is too old of a trick from back in the day
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2007 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I actually heard You talking about it in a diff. post and figured it's about time I give some good info. easy way to add mid bass? -- posted image. You don't like have that word copywrited or anything, do you?!

J

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  

Most major improvement in midbass response will be achieved by doing a complete job on the front doors.  All areas of sheet metal with a layer of damping;  that is, both the outer door skin metal and the inner panel.  Mount the midbass woofers onto custom MDF baffles, not directly to the door.  Screw the baffle firmly into the sheet metal of the panel.  Seal that baffle and all other leaks in the door panel with duct tape and caulk.

Second, improve the front midbass drivers.  Move up to a higher quality grade of components with 6.5" mids.  Those 5.25 Pioneers are likely falling short of achieving a strong <100 Hz region.  With a strong output at near 80 Hz, the mids will blend with the sub output for the impact of front midbass that you are now lacking.

Third, and least likely of the three to make a difference, is to increase power availablilty to the front soundstage.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hellbass212 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. so what exactly is poly-bagging?
Beah wif me, dis is aw pot uv twaining, danyo sun...
Clarion DXZ665mp,Lanzar 2000D,2 Powerbase Extreme 12",Pioneer 5.25" - TS-C503
JL Audio e4300,Fosgate Power 6x9,5 Farad Cap,2 Optima Yellow,205 Amp Alt
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic