the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

adding one more sub, noticeable difference?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Heres an  idea...doesn't anyone have a test bench, an spl meter and a couple amps/subs lying around? Take some measurments..well works for me anyhow..lol
Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst, I don't believe you looked at the graphs closely enough.  The center box shows max SPL and total system wattage.  The circled box on the left is the power given to a single driver.

I didn't say that the OP was doubling power to each sub, but doubling system power.  The graphs demonstrate what I said.  Leave them up on your screen and look through them again.  It is, of course, true that if I halved the power to the single driver the SPL would decrease by 3 db.  Your logic with that argument DOES NOT account for the added cone area gain.  You are doing nothing but adding and subtracting power with that reasoning.

So, I've shown that Unibox calculates +3 db gain SOLELY by doubling cone area.  In addition to what I've already shown, I've also looked at it using one driver compared with three instead of two, and the results stand as previously calculated.  System power remains the same whether it is one sub or three, but SPL is calculated as +3 db due to doubling of number of drivers alone.

three_drivers_total_system_150w_50w_each.jpg

Add that picture to the ones I linked before.  It shows that with three drivers, each with 50 watts for a total system power of 150 watts...115.7 db.  Compare this to the graph that shows two drivers with 75 watts each (114 db)...still 150 watts total system power.  A net increase of 1.7 watts (roughly half of 3 db) due to the calculation for the additional single driver but no added power.

Now, why do WinISD and Unibox calculate additional SPL for merely adding cone area when system power remains the same?  Because, I think, it must be true.

Edit:  sedate, we are just arguing the same point with two different proofs.  But I understand your demonstration as well as the one I put forth.  (BTW, you are a silver member;  you can upload a file of up to 500 Kb.  I normally take a snapshot of the program using Simply Capture which saves a 2+ Mb file of that size in .bmp format.  Then I pull it up in MS Picture It and save it as a .jpg file.  That drops the file size down to 200-some Kb.)  Ha ha, yeah, like I'm telling you how to use modern technology :)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
OK, OK, OK...
After a LONG conference call with my two injunears at Harman, I now understand (even though I really DON'T understand...). It is a QULAIFIED 6dB. Don't ask me to explain, I wouldn't be able to... I'm admitting I am wrong, "and that's all I got to say about that". Isn't that enough for you people, dammit!?! adding one more sub, noticeable difference? - Page 3 -- posted image.
I still don't know whay I am wrong, though... adding one more sub, noticeable difference? - Page 3 -- posted image. Charles kept spouting "voltage gain vs. efficiency" or some BS like that... I'll have to talk to him face to face, when John isn't there to keep interrupting.
How can one system suddenly put out an additional "magic" 3dB, just because another identical system is placed next to it? I think that's where the "qualified" part comes in...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

You have twice the cone area/excursion and twice the power = twice the output. That's how I see it, anyways.

I hope this helps (confuse you all some more,adding one more sub, noticeable difference? - Page 3 -- posted image.).

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
You da man, Dave.  I've always known that  :)  I know it will take me some time to understand the voltage factor in this, but I noticed that when I was trying out these different scenarios.  The block in Unibox that shows "SPL at 2.83 Vrms 1m" stays constant no matter how many drivers are added, although SPL changes.  It also stays constant no matter how much additional power is applied, again while SPL changes.  The n0, efficiency percentage, increases proportionally with number of drivers, but doesn't change when power is manipulated.  The n0 doesn't care whether drivers are connected series or parallel, or how much or how little power is applied.  It seems to just count number of drivers.  The graphs I put up earlier show .5% for one driver, 1% for two, and 1.5% for three.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=jmelton86]

You have twice the cone area/excursion and twice the power = twice the output. That's how I see it, anyways.

I hope this helps (confuse you all some more,adding one more sub, noticeable difference? - Page 3 -- posted image.).\

"Theoretically" it takes a 10dB gain to be twice as loud so I am not so sure that statement is correct....however doubling the # of speakers AND doubling the power to EACH speaker should yield a 9dB gain..which is close..but still there seems to be debate.

As for everyone else I can only hope there is something to be learned here as alot of discussion is going on about this...but since I was a wee lad...it was common knowledge in THIS industry (and I imagine physics as well) that doubling the # of speakers = 3dB gain...doubling of power = 3dB gain. Not to beat a dead horse (well one I thought was dead for the last 10-15 years) I have never heard any debate about this from anyone...ever....anywhere. 

But somehow this topic has become interesting, I must admit you all make great ponits and get us thinking, can't ask for much more then that.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  

heamphyst wrote:
"voltage gain vs. efficiency" or some BS like that...

Well.  SPL is a function of air moved right?

Okay well, 1 watt might make a speaker move 1mm right?  But 2w is not necessarily going to move it 2mm right?  Maybe the 2 watts only moves the speaker 1.5mm.  So the air moved would be equivalent to 1.5mm x Sd right?

But if we have a pair of drivers and put 2w to them, or 1w/1 driver, then each driver moves 1mm...  so the total air moved would be 2mm x Sd right? 

This is why I understand multiples of drivers to be louder than multiples of power. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
I think you're on to something. I figure 2 woofers is more effecient than 1.
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

One of many reasons I consistantly use the term "theorectically" when dealing with this topic.

But you don't really need charts and graphs and a physics degree to realize more speakers and more power will produce more SPL.

I am still waiting for someone to perform a lab experiment. I would do it but my SPL meter is broken and I don't wish to replace it until busy season..if that ever comes in car audio again.

To do this test simply hook an amp to a test bench with a sub..take a reading @ a given wattage and mic distance..add another sub/amp and take the next reading.

Repeat the experiment at different wattage levels and various mic placment and record the readings.

I would be willing to bet overall on average the readings would indicate the results expected...3db increase per doubling of speakers...3db per doubling of power..or close enough to it to be conclusive.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

I second that notion.

There is no way I could afford equipment that would take adaquate measurements.

Any takers?

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic