the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Persistent Engine Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
so essentiall disconnect the main cable feeding the battery from the alternator? that wouldnt be hard at all. ill go try that now.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
When you had the jumper cables hooked up, did you ever have the saturn running and the truck not?   That is one thing I wanted to check.  If you did do that, you didn't post any results.
Fosgate3 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

I just came in from doing the check. sorry for the delay there... There was no noise at all with the power cables disconnected from the alt. Everything sounded good.

In response to your last question, I did with the truck running but the saturn off. I figured that would be the a way to tell if it was the car's alt or not b/c the battery's juice would be coming from the truck's charging system and not the car's. I did not do it with the truck off and the car running though. Do I need to do that at this point?

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
If it was a whine you were getting, here's one potentially good use for a large capacitor that I've had success with in the past for the same problem.... connect a half farad cap or slightly larger to the positive lead of the alternator, then mount and ground as close as possible. **edit** The alternative is to replace the alternator with no guaranteed results :|
Persistent Engine Noise - Page 7 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Fosgate3 
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

It was a whine that I got that changed with the RPM of the car. I just happen to have a PGold 1/2 F cap not being used. I may be able to find a place to squeeze it in by the alt. I would figure the closer, the better, but what's an ideal distance... or would it matter? Since the battery is in the trunk (OEM location), I have a cable running from the alt to the trunk and a lot more room to mount back there. I also have a cable running from the frame of the alt to the negative battery post and then to the frame there too so the ground is easily accessable. Will this do or is that too far?

Replacing the alt versus having the rectifiers replaced... either way can be costly on a tight budget. Since it is an 07 model car, the stator and bushings and all *should* be fine in the alt... but so should the rectifiers!

i am an idiot 
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

The closer the better, but if you hook the truck back up and with the saturn running you have no noise, the truck battery is the capacitor.  If it helped or eliminated the noise and it is easier to do it at the battery, try it there.  It should do a little better near the Alternator.

Fosgate3 
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

I'll do that and will repost hopefully tomorrow evening. It's getting late here and I am in the middle of preparing dinner, taking care of other things. Look for an update soon.

Thanks a lot to for the help thus far! 7 pages of material here and this is really the first point that something of substance is coming up. Thanks also the12volt. I guess 7 pages was the point that an admin says "enough" and steps in! lol

I appreciate it and will update soon.

Fosgate3 
Posted: August 13, 2007 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

well... no luck. I installed my half-farad phoenix gold cap but there was no change in anything.

what next?

i am an idiot 
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  

If you added some grounds to the factory system try disconnecting them the only thing I can think is that you created a ground loop.  Also is there a computer mounted to the vehicle floor?  If so try isolating it from the chassis of the car.

I am only 3.5 hours away from you with an air conditioned shop.  More than willing to try and get it fixed for you.

Fosgate3 
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  

To my knowledge, I am not aware of any additional grounds to the factory system, except for the ground cable run from the alternator housing to the negative post on the battery and to the frame but that was way at the end of my struggle and did not impact anything with the noise. I think what I am going to do is take everything out and start over, piece by piece... reinstalling everything again, one single item at a time. Like I said, I'm not aware of any ground loops anywhere but that doesnt mean none exist.

Where are you located? you can reply in a PM if you care to. If I cant get it this go around, I may just take it to you though time and money are critical points.

Was there anything out of the ordinary with the results from the AC voltage test? You mentioned also that you wanted me to have the jumper cables connected from my truck to the saturn but the truck not running and the saturn running. I can do this still, if you think it will help diagnose an issue. What should I expect to occur?

Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic