the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Persistent Engine Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
Wwaaayyy back three or four pages ago it was suggested you may be getting noise from your vehicle's electrical system that has nothing to do with your sound system.  Your experiments seem to support this.  Have you had your ignition system tested?  Have you inspected your coil, your ECU, your spark plugs and spark plug wires?  Have you checked out your voltage regulator?
Support the12volt.com
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, my most recent experiments seem to support it that something in the electrical system may be amis. How do you test an ignition system, ECU, and spark plug wires for noise? How do you check out the voltage regulator? And so you know DYohn, it's not that I didn't listen to those suggestions. I wanted to eliminate the simplest, least expensive possibilities first. There hasnt been anyone who has come forth and say that it is this or it is that. Now that the easier areas have been examined, it's time to move to more complex ones, ones that I obviously have no idea how to examine even if they are the culprit. Now, with that said, I'll gladly look at all these things if anyone knows of a way to do it. I can't afford to take my car to a shop and request them to check the items for noise even if they can check for such a thing. Know what I mean? Persistent Engine Noise - Page 8 -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah don't forget to check your spark plug wires, they ALWAYS make noise that sounds like alternator noise.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

No one on this forum can say with certainty what your issue might be because it is impossible to do via the Internet.  We can only make suggestions, which you have followed pretty well.  I suggest you may need to take the car to a good professional automobile electrical shop in your area and ask them to run a full set of diagnostics on your electrical system with special attention to spark noise. How new are the spark plug wires, the distributor cap, and the plugs themselves?  Sometimes all you need to do is a complete engine tune up.  It is also possible your ECU is bad or has a bad ground, and a good shop can test for this too.

Finding and fixing ignition system noise is maybe one of the hardest things to do in car audio, and I know several people who trade in their cars for a different model once they realize how difficult it can be to track down.  Expect to spend some time and money if it's in your ignition system.

Support the12volt.com
Fosgate3 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

ha! I've already considered trading mine in too! unfortunately, I still owe a good amount on it. This is a 2007 Ion with 31,000 miles (I work about 60 miles from home) purchased new in October 2006. So everything on it is pretty new. Prior to making that move (and after much deliberation today), I'm going to exhaustively go through the entire system, essentially take everything out and reinstall, just to make sure there was nothing simple missed, nothing overlooked, looking for good and bad grounds, etc. When everything checks out and nothing significant found, then a check by an auto tech will be left. I hate to bring it to someone and spend the money and then realize it was something simple all along that I could have found if I had reviewed everything. When I get done with this check, I'll post back.

Fosgate3 
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged  
In regard to alt whine vs ECU noise vs ignition noise vs spark plug wire noise and so on... If the noise was from a component other than the alternator, wouldnt I still hear it during the test I did earlier when I disconnected the alternator and started the car (and consequently had no noise)?
DYohn 
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  

Fosgate3 wrote:
In regard to alt whine vs ECU noise vs ignition noise vs spark plug wire noise and so on... If the noise was from a component other than the alternator, wouldnt I still hear it during the test I did earlier when I disconnected the alternator and started the car (and consequently had no noise)?

Not necessarily, although this does point to the alt or the voltage regulator.  But modern cars work in mysterious ways.  You need to go visit a good auto electrical shop and get some testing done.

Support the12volt.com
Fosgate3 
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
With muting plugs put in the amp and there is no noise, this points to something either with the cables or head unit. What if there is no head unit installed, just cables run and after trying several different cables and running them several different ways through the vehicle, you still have noise. Yet, as stated, there is no noise at all with the plugs connected? and to add more, lets say that the amp ground is great, with a very low resistence (0.2-0.4 ohms) and both power and ground are optimal size for the amp. Just curious about what ppl think the next course of action would be...
DYohn 
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

Well, like I just said:

DYohn wrote:
You need to go visit a good auto electrical shop and get some testing done.

Support the12volt.com
Fosgate3 
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, i read that the first time and am going to have the alt and other items looked at as soon as I can afford it. The post I made about the muting plug was an topic out of curiosity and not something I intended to be about my car per se. I thought about it after reading Forbidden's info about muting plugs. It may be more helpful if it was left as a new topic instead of bringing it in here.

Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic