icon

Persistent Engine Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csound 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
I think what "i am an idiot" is talking about is the pcb and fuse on the pioneer head unit. With a multimeter, test for continuity (with the rca leads unplugged) between the rca ground and the radio's chassis. If there is continuity, then the head unit is fine, if not, I'll tell you how to fix the problem.
Marius Minnie
csound 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
Ignore the last posted reply, it was posted by mistake before I even saw there were more than one page on the topic. Please forgive my idiocy.
Hope you get the noise sorted out though.
Marius Minnie
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  

That sounds like an easy check but there isn't a pioneer head unit (there was originally but it has long since been replaced with a Clarion). I'm sorry I dont know the abreviation: what's a PCB?

Unless this is something totally different from all the other things that have been tried and done, I dont think this will really shed much light on it all. DYohn and iamaidiot are suggesting more of a fault somewhere in the vehicle and at this point I agree. I worked on the car Tuesday afternoon, evening and then into the night till around 10pm, then again yesterday again. Then again this morning for another two hours before going to work... all efforts were pointless. I totally removed the head unit and just kept the amp powered off of a switched 12v in lieu of a remote turn on. I redid the ground to the amp even though the original was reading 0.3 ohms. It was a somewhat lengthy run of 4gauge. The new one is 10inches and has 0.4 or so for a resistence measure. It didnt matter. I played around with RCA routing patterns too to see if it mattered where they went. at some points, I got a noise free system but no matter which way I went, everytime I came close to the location for the HU, where the ECU is, I got noise.

I've called an automotive tech who does alternator repair and explained it to him. I hope to take the alt to him next week after I get paid. I'm willing to try other suggestions in the interim though if you have any ideas. I made a post in thread on the last page or the one before in which I posted the results from checking AC voltage at the battery. I'm still curious to know if those readings were good or bad.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

PCB = Printed Circuit Board     There is a fuse on the bottom of the board on most Pioneers. 

Hey when you checked for AC voltage on the 3 cars, what kind of meter did you use?

Fosgate3 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
I used my Blue Point DMM, like this one here. Mine is a much older version though, bought back in 2000. Thanks for the PCB info too. :) i feel smarter now!! Did i screw something up with my measurements?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
No you didn't mess anything up.  Cheaper meters do not give accurate readings at higher frequencies.  Your meter should read it fine. 
csound 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2007 at 4:57 AM / IP Logged  
Just trying my luck but is it not worth twisting the rca cable when you install it to give it a coaxial effect for noise cancellation.
Or to measure the ground difference between the front of the vehicle chassis and the rear.
Marius Minnie
Fosgate3 
Posted: August 17, 2007 at 6:36 AM / IP Logged  

I've never tried or heard of that technique with the RCA cable. The cables inside are twisted and shielded so I couldnt imagine this working. Besides, I think there's enough evidence to point to the alt and other vehicle components.

There was a difference in the ground resistance  at the ground point for the ECU: it registered 1.2 ohms instead of the 0.3 - 0.5 that I had seen before.

Page of 9

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic