icon

motorcycle alarm on scooter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hey scoots..I am back..but it's late so I can't deal with the diagram till tomorrow.

But your last question scares me...lol....just don't hook up the start wire..you really couldn't figure that???  lol/..tooo obvious I guess...

Talk to you tomorrow

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 4:51 AM / IP Logged  
You won't need to cut the wires (as shown by the scissors) either, since that's only needed during remote start to open up the ignition kill line.
Everything else you can hook up for the alarm functions.
The "Lock, (positive output)" is probably intended as an ignition sense line to tell the alarm when the bike is switched on, via the orange wire.
Bench test the alarm fully before doing anything, so you know for sure what it's doing with each wire.
b2reptile 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  

It looks to me that the Pink and Grey alarm wires are a starter/ignition kill.  If these wires are suppost to keep the bike from starting when the alarm is activated, then they should interrupt the Brown wire at your Zumas ignition switch.  The Black wire at the ignition switch is grounded, so you should be able to hook the alarm grounds to it.  And of course Red is 12v+  at the Ign switch.  It is fused at  7A but that should be OK to hook the alarm red to it.

You know what to do with the p. lights-  That should get the alarm working.

That leaves blue and orange.  I agree that testing these wires with a multimeter is a good idea. I'd hook it all up on the bike and then figure out those two wires, if you need them.

b2reptile 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  

The alarm diag says the blue wire should connect to the positive starter wire on the bike, but the Zuma starter relay gets 12v+ from the Brown Ignition wire, and is activated buy a ground from the start button.

Is the blue wire an output for a remote start? Or is it an input to set off the alarm?

Same with the orange wire. Input or output?  Diag says to hook up to a positive output on bike.  Does this tie in to what the alarm forum guys were saying?

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
This is what I'd guess the function of the wires are:
Blue: Output for the remote start function; and based on their calling it a "Positive electricity starter wire", it's active high, and likely a low current output, so it'd have to be used to drive a relay. Unusual because relay drives are usually active low, grounding out when it's turned on.
Orange: Sense input to the alarm unit to tell it when the ignition is switched on. I'd check it with a bench test by measuring the voltage when the alarm is powered up, and seeing what voltage it sits at (probably 0V). Then get a 1k resistor and connect it to the wire and 12V, and see what if it goes to 12V and affects the alarm in the way you'd expect. If it's not an input but an output, using the 1k resistor should protect it from blowing up.
You could check the blue wire by measuring the voltage as you press the buttons for the remote start, and see if it outputs 12V momentarily. If not, and it appears to be sitting at 0V the whole time, check it by attaching the 1k resistor between it and 12V, and see if it goes to 0V during the remote start, indicating it's ground switched, and intended to drive a relay the usual way.
Bikes usually don't have left and right parking lights, so those outputs probably can be hooked up to the turn signal circuits.
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

ah cool..I am glad to see some other members providing support with this alarm.

It's really a shame beacuse an alarm..as well as a remote start should be a cake walk on a scooter...but since the directions have us guessing and predicting and having to perform different tests to check functions..kinda smears the icing off the cake and spits on it.

But I have faith between all of us we can get help you in getting this to work without damaging anything. You will learn alot during this so it can't be a bad thing. As well you will learn patience and how not to fear what you work on...no matter what...you must believe you are smarter then what you are working on or..you have failed before you started.

Just keep posting questions as you need and we will try our best.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
scoots 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

Another user from the provoscooter forum also made a statement long time ago when helping someone how to install a 9 wire alarm for scooters.  He had the same model of scooter as I do. 

Direct Quote: "The Blue wire from the alarm would go to the hot wire on the starter... (I don't use this as I have to starter with my over range tranny")"

What is a over range tranny? Does this help in figuring out what the blue wire is for?  His alarm diagram is attached to this postmotorcycle alarm on scooter - Page 2 -- posted image.

I will need to go out tomorrow and buy some resistors for the bench test.  So hopefully, I'll have some more info about the blue and orange wires soon.

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
"The Blue wire from the alarm would go to the hot wire on the starter... (I don't use this as I have to starter with my over range tranny")"
I'm not sure what an over range tranny is, but even if it's not a typo, it seems to be another case of English-as-a-second-language translation- maybe it's supposed to be, "I don't use this as I have to start her with my overage tranny (or granny)."   Maybe he has to push start his scooter, not having electric start. (?)
The diagram he has looks pretty much equivalent except your orange wire is brown on his, and he has an additional white wire that's a negative going start wire, in addition to the blue positive going one.
If you measure the continuity of the pink and grey wires, do you see a connection between them with the alarm off? I think they're going to be open only when going through a remote start cycle, and closed otherwise.
Your bike has a simpler ignition switch and stop switch, all the connections are open when off, so you wouldn't need to connect the pink and grey wires. Not sure why that other diagram shows the pink being connected, but the grey is just left hanging.
scoots 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 3:01 AM / IP Logged  

I think that diagram has some problems as well.  The grey wire in that diagram SHOULD be connected to the ignition side of the BLACK/ white wire but it is not indicated like that on the diagram.  Seems like there's a general trend of crappy wiring diagrams for motorcycle alarms out there.  Anyways, I'll get those bench tests done asap and post my findings. 

Another difference from his wiring diagram to mine is that there's nothing connecting to his green wire coming from the ignition.  On my diagram, the black alarm wire connects to that location.  Does this matter?

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  
That green wire is shown connecting to ground, which they show with the horizontal line, rather than the usual ground symbol that's more often used. You can see the battery neg terminal is also connected to ground with the same symbol.
The ignition switch on some motorcycles use the ground to disable CDI ignition modules by providing a switched ground to one of the inputs, when the switch is off. That's why they indicate a ground going to the ignition switch, which isn't normally needed with cars.
When remote starting, if the key is left in the locked position, the line needs to be opened up to enable the ignition to work, which is why they show the scissors cutting the original bike wiring, and reconnected by the alarm module connections, so that everything still works normally when the alarm is off. When the remote start is active, the alarm opens up the line to allow the engine to run.
Your particular scooter doesn't use that method, instead connecting power and ground only when it's switched on, so you probably won't need it.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic