the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

wiring gauge to amplifier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
I am glad the original question poster is satisfied and had his question answered.  I have no problem with your inquiry Custom Audio NY, and don't feel as if you are making personal attacks.  It was nott my goal to scare people into oversized wire.  The fact of the matter is that increase in heat, not to the extreme of fire, will decrease the life of your equipment.
Good Luck!
-Thad
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
custom audio ny wrote:
In closing..I had a disagreement with a reply...should I be shunned from debating? Perhaps this place isn't for me.
Absolutely NOT! Sometimes you just have to keep sticking your nose in! Trust me, I know! wiring gauge to amplifier - Page 3 -- posted image. The most unpopular initial views HAVE turned out to be the ones that everybody eventually sides with!
The debates are what keep me coming back, mang! I always enjoy a debate, discussion, argument... what have you. Don't ever take anything personally by what is said in the public forum. Most of the better guys here will PM you if they really have an issue with something you say. They aren't going to "hang you in public", as it were. Don't take it bad!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
temporary name 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst..this is custom audio ny. Apparently someone must have taken something I said personally since the last time I replied here I have not been able to sign in..but it could be a technical glitch as well..I have an email into admin about it. I don't believe I broke any forum rules.

Anyhow I appreciate what you said..it makes me feel alot better about this forum. I as well hope nobody takes anything I post personally as well..it is not my mission to insult or belittle anyone..just to share knowledge. Nobody really knows who I am here..and vice versa so it really would make little sense to get personal regardless.

Ok back to the "debate"..lol. I think where I may have had a problem with this topic is in a few areas. I oversimplified some factors...such as that an audio system consists of a power source...wire..and the amplifiers internal circuitry. I was looking at it more as a simple circuit...such as a light bulb. Now a light bulb has a wattage. It uses power..which is work over time..and given off as heat and light...kinda like an amp (as far as heat) but the similarity stops there.

Now if we lower the voltage going to a light bulb...it gets dimmer and gives off less heat. HOWEVER, if we lowered the voltage to the light by using a wire that was too small..it is basically acting as a resistor...and we all know that resistors use power..hence they heat up. Looking at it this way you still get the same result...less power to the light..so the light itself will not be as bright or warm...regardless of how we lessen the voltage to it.

Now I looked at it this way not taking the amplifiers power supply into account..something the lightbulb does not have..it simply draws what it can to light..up to its wattage rating..lower the voltage..it dims..to much voltage..it burns out..plain and simple.

Now I still stand firmly that a 400w amp can use a 15ft run of 10ga without causing enough heat in the wire to burn it up..but it could get warm if played at max power steadily for a length of time.not a danger..but not something we want..as far as an increase in bass output using a 4ga..I still say possibly enough to notice...but once again depends on the type of amplifier (power supply..class..circuitry etc) ..now rememer what I stated in an earlier post about the normal voltage fluctuations in a vehicle far exceeds the voltage drop of the 10 gauge..in this case.

I highly suggest to click on the link below..it is an excellent and simple read on this topic and after reading it I definatly took away more then I came in with..good stuff and some stuff I simply forgot but was refreshed.

In closing I state..there may be more then one reason to use the proper gauge wire...but no matter how you slice it...use the proper gauge wire. Power loss and heat are 2 things we need to avoid. Proper fusing is a given for safety. If the wire gauge is significantly too small..you do risk meltdowns, blown fuses..and a shortened amplifier life span (thats out to you Sound Audio).

http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0111cae_anatomy_power_amplifier/

I am custom audio ny but there's a problem with sign in.(perhaps I am being "punished? lol) Once it's fixed I will delete this registered name.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
temporary name wrote:

haemphyst..this is custom audio ny. Apparently someone must have taken something I said personally since the last time I replied here I have not been able to sign in..but it could be a technical glitch as well..I have an email into admin about it. I don't believe I broke any forum rules.

Try deleting the cookies on your computer. They can prevent signing in.

That link you provided is dead. 

I meant to reply, but the time I got around to it, some one beat me to it with a far superior reply.   

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
There is nothing wrong with the account for "custom audio ny."  The "temporary name" account has been deactivated.   And by the way, many of us have additional information about "who we are" in our profiles if you choose to click them.
Support the12volt.com
wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the account for "custom audio ny." The "temporary name" account has been deleted.   And by the way, many of us have additional information about "who we are" in our profiles if you choose to click them.
I believe "custom audio ny" is "master5". See the following post: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=91467&KW=master5
~wirewise~
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

There are a lot of people on these forums who I've come to admire and respect over the years, and if the time comes I've got their backs.  That's about the plain and simple of it.  But there is no way my politely worded post  that preceeded that custom audio ny post can be construed as a public flogging.  It was an explanatory post to an apparently new member.  If subtle hints could be read into it, then I worded it well.

If it truly was humiliating, I should be flogged and forced to go back to using my original forum identity, Bang Bang.  wiring gauge to amplifier - Page 3 -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
lol@stevdart... You're safe ;)
wiring gauge to amplifier - Page 3 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

wirewise wrote:
I believe "custom audio ny" is "master5". See the following post: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=91467&KW=master5
~wirewise~

Ah.

Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
If it truly was humiliating, I should be flogged and forced to go back to using my original forum identity, Bang Bang.  wiring gauge to amplifier - Page 3 -- posted image.

... and I'm NoUse.  wiring gauge to amplifier - Page 3 -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic