icon

audiobahn amp, subwoofer, dead?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thechris2233 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  

Well I have an older audiobahn subwoofer aw1005 (10" DVC, 2ohms each coil) paired with a A8002v 2 channel amp. The woofer is supposed to be 900 watts rms and the amp bridged into 1 channel is rated 800watts rms. I wired the bridged amp (rated 4 ohms) in series to the subwoofer (two 2ohm coils in series = 4ohm i think?) and all sounded well for about a week.

I suppose I was a victim to the overhype (car audio stuff is very new to me) by going with audiobahn (this conclusion coming from search = audiobahn), but I have already invested in it so now I just want it to work. I don't care about competition stuff etc, and I mostly just want some decent bass to back up the rock I listen too.

But anyway, I wired everything as previously mentioned, and it sounded great (to me) for about a week. Then one day I noticed it cutting in and out a little and now it's not working at all. The sub isn't moving at all, but the amp appears to be getting juice (built in meter thing has a read out), the protect light isn't on, and all the connects (rca wires from deck, speaker wires) seem secure. I'm clueless as to what is causing the problem, and all of the local shops seem like idiots. (I had a guy at one tell me "the wiring didn't matter as it would all sound the same" when I asked him how I should wire the sub). I bought a multimeter with hopes of testing different parts of the wiring to see just what is not getting a signal but have no idea how to use it :( (It is a greenlee dm-40 that I grabbed from Lowes and while I understand basic concept of multimeter, applying that concept to troubleshooting amp isn't working too well for me!) I haven't been able to find a good guide on web either :-(

Also, I am wondering if the box size could be causing a problem. The box is really big for a single 10 (like over 2 cu. ft.), and I am curious how a more appropriate box could help (the car being a 93 honda civic coupe).

Any and all help / guideance is much appreciated.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  

IMO the sub might well have gone into over excursion in that large enclosure.  You should pull the sub out and manually push on the cone and let the forum know if it moves without noise or other trouble.  You also have to troubleshoot the amplifier because at this point you don't know whether it's the subwoofer or the amp that is acting up.  Borrow another sub, in box, and connect it to your amp for testing.  The DMM isn't going to help you at this point.

I hope that it is the subwoofer that's broke and you at least have an amplifier to work with while selecting a new sub / box combination.  That sub is worth less than the amp and is difficult to model decent sound output with any type of box alignment.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
b1kshad0w 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2007 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

You can also put the meter on "ohm" on the lowest setting and tell us how many ohms it reads. It could even be that one of the wires inside of the box came undone. I had a woofer a long time ago where the wire from the sub's terminals to the voice coil came undone. It could be that the voice coil overheated and melted. Sometimes when this happen because the load gets gradually lower it will overheat the output transisters in the amp just enough to fry them but it doesn't end up setting off the thermal overload protetion in the amplifier.

Anyways, if you hear any distortion at all turn the subs down. At that point something is going seriously wrong. Your amp could be clipping which puts out a lot of power but isn't moving the subwoofer anymore and can overheat the voice coil. The sub could also be reaching the limits of it's syspension. I have a 1211a infinity amp that puts out around 1,000 watts rms to subs that are rated to handle 150 watts rms. I have had these subs for 13 years now used on and off with amps that put out much more power than they are rated for.

thechris2233 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I finally had time to look at this some more. I pushed on the speaker and it seemed to go up and down with no problems at all. There wasn't any grinding noises or anything like that.

I also tried to use the DMM to check the resistance on the woofer, but I'm not sure I did this correctly considering I don't know how to use a MM.  The lowest settng for ohms (funny horseshoe symbol) on my meter was 200 (others being 2000, 20k, 200k, 20m) and put each of the leads on the speak wires that go to the amp. My reasoning was that this would measure the resistance the amp gets which should be the resistance through the series, roughly (hopefully) 4 ohms. However when I put the leads to the wires (I disconnected them first), the number just sorta jumped around like crazy. Again that is probably from me doing it wrong. I did use the continuity feature on the same wires and it beeped leading me to believe that the wires are good.

There has never been any distortion in the sound at all. It has always been either it worked or it didn't.  Is there a way for me to use the DMM to make sure the amp is sending out a signal and that the rcas are sending out a signal? Which setting would need to be used for that?

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who I can borrow another sub to test. As for testing the sub itself, is there any other way I can do that?

I am probably going to get the materials to build a new box soon. Assuming the subwoofer is bad, does anyone have a recommendation for a new 10-12" woofer for this amp (800 watts rms)?

Again, all and any help is much appreciated.

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
I doubt you need a 800 watt rms sub to work with that amp, how many fuses are in the amp and what amperage are they?
xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
I found your amp it has 2 -30amp fuses by math roughly 800 watts will be max that amp will put out so I would venture to say a decent sub rated at 400 watts (rms) sould be safe. I would look for a single voice coil (4ohm).
thechris2233 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
yea I may just have to get a new speaker then. The amp is still under warranty so I figure if I bought a new speaker and it didn't work, I may just have to rma the amp. Do you have any brand model suggestions? Sound quality and price are more important to me than it hitting hard. While finding a 4 ohm 400 watt speaker wouldn't be hard, knowing which brands / model are good would be a greater challenge since I am so inexperienced. Any specific suggestions?
xtremej 
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
The only thing I have recent experience with close to what your looking for would be an M-series from Powerbass the 12" svc is rated at 350 rms. With properly set gains and a good enclosure you should be fine with this combo.
xtremej 
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
And you may want to use the woofer wiring guide to the right as you either had it wired to 2ohm or 8 ohm. If wired to 2 ohm then your amp may be cashed in.
thechris2233 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

xtremej wrote:
And you may want to use the woofer wiring guide to the right as you either had it wired to 2ohm or 8 ohm. If wired to 2 ohm then your amp may be cashed in.

I'm pretty sure two 2 ohm coils wired together in a series is a 4 ohm load? Atleast according to: https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=22 it is.

However, thanks for the recommendation. I am going to check it out. I also wonder, since it is a two channel amp, would it sound better (be cheaper) if I got two lower power speakers? Again price is my primary concern with SQ being my second.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic