icon

viper 5900, 05 accord

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
darklegacy540 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
I installed the Viper 5900 with DEI 556U bypass in a 2005 Honda Accord. (No factory alarm)
It's worked great for several months up until now.
The car still starts by remote start, but it won't start with the key. Because it does still start via remote starter, I'm wondering if it's even the Viper or not.. perhaps an issue with the vehicle itself.
Any ideas/suggestions? Thank you in advance!
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
I would check your bypass and make sure it is not powered up constantly. i don't know about the Hondas, but on some vehicles the ignition can only see one key at a time or it will not start with a key. 
tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm i cant think of why it would suddenly do this if it worked for several months.  If you didnt change anything with the bypass, that should be good.  What happens when you try to start with the key?  Does it try to crank, or does it just allow you to turn the key all the way without it trying.  If it doing that, only thing I can think of is something with the starter kill.
darklegacy540 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it did work for several months. Nothing has changed.
When I try to start it with the key, the starter just cranks and cranks. It catches for a split second, but not enough to turn the engine over.
But it does remote start just fine...
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
Try using a different key.  The key may not function properly.  Try disconnecting the blue wire from the bypass and see if the car turns on.  im pretty sure that the key might be the issue.  Maybe it was stepped on or something inside broke for some reason.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
loose wiring?
a friend of mine had a similar problem because of loose wiring at the bypass tap-in. btw, not my installation.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
tbone587 
Copper - Posts: 167
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
hmmm now that im thinking about it, it does seem like your key you normallty use to start the car may have gotten damaged.  What you need to do is get your spare key out of the bypass module and try to start the car manually.  If it works, you can use that key and possibly get another bypass module which doesnt require a spare key like the 556hw.
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
Yes I agree.  You could get a bypass kit by Fortin.  They work great.  I've had issues with DEI Honda bypasses(556HW) which dont use a spare key.  The Fortins have worked flawlessly.  Like tbone mentioned earlier, try taking the key out of the 556U and see if it starts.  The bypass made by fortin is distributed by Crimestopper and even Compustar.  The park sku is HONDA-SL2 or Honda-SL3.  Both would work.
darklegacy540 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
Hmm, well I'll be doing the trouble shoot tomorrow.. Perhaps the significant other damaged the key.. Or maybe it got wet or something? Who knows.. Well, anyway, I've never used the 556H as I've heard it can lose it's programming. I've always used the 556U.
I will look into that bypass you guys are talking about. Thanks for your help and I will let you all know what happens!
darklegacy540 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, I just thought about this. I think the chip in the key which I normally use to start the car is still good.
If I remote start the car, insert the key and turn the ignition to the ON position, then hit the brake to disengage the remote start, the car stays running. If the key was bad, shouldn't the car turn off? Or does the Transponder system only require the chip from the key to start and that's it? Or does it have to read the chip the whole time the car is running?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic