icon

12w6v2 enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mezzaricardo 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  

hello, i am about to install a 12w6v2, the JL audio webpage says that the recomended cubic feet for that subwoofer is 1.5 (slot ported)

If I build a 2.00 cubic feet enclosure (slot ported also) will it work just fine anyway?.... 

any comment please let me know.

Ricardo Daniel Meza Cavazos
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 3:18 AM / IP Logged  
if you are building it, why not build it to spec? This is an amazing woofer, I wouldnt short-change it.
I would go by the recommended enclosure volumes for sure. It wont hurt you to put it in a 2.0 cuft box, but I dont know what port length to suggest. Save the headache and build it to spec. Ported boxes are tricky enough already
mezzaricardo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

Well, the reason is because I am dealing with a very small trunk and if I build the 1.5 cuft, I would need to extend a port length of 29 inches which is very complicated. (a few days ago I built an enclosure with 2 chamber of 1.5 cuft each and I suffered to make the port, you can watch it at: www.fotolog.com/infinitekaudio )

Well then, in my little experience I know that a ported enclosure of 2.00 cuft must has a 18 inches port length.

I just wanted to know if an enclosure like that wouldn't hurt my subwoofer and if i could obtaing great sound quality.

It's just that this is a work for myself. for my car, you know.

cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
mezzaricardo wrote:

Well then, in my little experience I know that a ported enclosure of 2.00 cuft must has a 18 inches port length.

I just wanted to know if an enclosure like that wouldn't hurt my subwoofer and if i could obtaing great sound quality.

It's just that this is a work for myself. for my car, you know.

A 2cubic foot enclosure can have a port length of 3 inches...Its all relevant to your port area and desired tuning frequency.
This box would work perfect:
http://subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=30&Eh=15&Dia=6&Xmax=16&Vd=.12&NumW=1&Vb=2&Fb=35&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
mezzaricardo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

CLOAK 559 Wrote

A 2cubic foot enclosure can have a port length of 3 inches...Its all relevant to your port area and desired tuning frequency.

This box would work perfect:

http://subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=30&Eh=15&Dia=6&Xmax=16&Vd=.12&NumW=1&Vb=2&Fb=35&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

can you explain me the difference between a very long port length and a small port length?

and the difference between a small slot port and a bigger slot port?.. in this case you recommend it as 2.25?..

cloak559 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
mezzaricardo wrote:
]can you explain me the difference between a very long port length and a small port length?
and the difference between a small slot port and a bigger slot port?.. in this case you recommend it as 2.25?..
]
There is quite a bit of math involved in designing and building a ported enclosure...
The three things you need to determine are:
-cubic footage after port and woofer displacment
-Port Area (Height x Width of port opening)
-Port Length
Cubic Footage:
Cubic footage is determined either by manufacturer specs or by calculating a woofers thiele small parameters to find optimal airspace for that driver...You have chosen to do 2 cubic feet for your enclosure.
Port Area:
Port area is determined by the woofers total linear displacement. This can get very complicated so its best to use this rule of thumb-you should have around 12-15 sqaure inches of port area per cubic foot of your box...Meaning that for a 2 cubic foot box you should have roughly 24-30sq.in. of port area.
Having not enough port area can result in port noise, which is created by air turbulance rushing through the port. its like driving at 25mph and cracking your window. If you just crack it, you will hgave the wind noise, but if you roll all of your windows down, it will be a lot quieter...Too much port area can result in your woofers not having enough negative pressure. This can lead to a loss in bass and woofer damage caused by your speakers excurting too far.
Port Length:
The length of your port determines the frequency in which your box is tuned to. At tuning frequency your speakers do not move very much, and the port resonates air to make bass. This is why you can accomplish a much louder and lower sound with ported boxes. Most daily bass boxes are tuned anywhere from 28hz to 40hz. For yours I would tune to around 35Hz...This will give you nice lows for rap music bat also give you the higher range for rock or country...there is a formula to determine length, but for you the online calculators will work fine. THIS is a good one...With 30 sq, inches of port you should have a port that is about 27.5 inches long...
So overall you should have a 2 cubic foot box with 30sq. inches of port that is 27.5" long tuned to 35Hz....
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  

coppellstereo wrote:
if you are building it, why not build it to spec? This is an amazing woofer, I wouldnt short-change it.

Hmm.  Never talked to coppellstereo before, but I've used these woofers and they like a *big* box.  Not a standard 12 I can assure you of that.  You should have absolutly no problem with 2cft ported enclosure..  furthermore building ported boxes is *very* easy.  I'll design one for you in WinISD so you won't have any doubt.

Okay, here is a text representation of the response of that woofer for a 2cft box with a 30hz tune.  I modeled a 35 hz tune as the cloak559 suggested, but I think this frequency produces a much better response curve.

Driver            : JL Audio 12w6v2

Project by        : sedate

Project for       : mezzaricardo

--

Number of drivers : 1
Box type          : Vented
Box size          : 2.000 ft^3
Tuning frequency  : 30.00 Hz
Vent              : 2 vent(s)
                    7.76 in length for each
                    2.00 in round

Relative                                      
Freq         Gain         SPL                              
[Hz]         [dB]         [dB]                             
20.00        -12.38       73.52                            
25.00        -6.19        79.71                            
30.00        -1.90        84.00                            
35.00        0.73         86.63                            
40.00        1.94         87.84                            
45.00        2.27         88.17                            
50.00        2.20         88.10                            
55.00        2.01         87.91                            
60.00        1.78         87.68                            
65.00        1.58         87.48                            
70.00        1.39         87.29                            
75.00        1.23         87.13                            
80.00        1.10         87.00  

See that?  Beautiful!  From 30 - 80hz this box will be +/-3db! Virtually flat!

Also, notice the port calculation?  Get a 2" PVC pipe from Home Depot and cut it to 2 8 inche lengths and, viola! you have your ports.  You can put one on each side of the woofer so it'll look nice.  And no, the 2 ports will not produce any port noise. 

Any questions?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

Oh.  I reread ur post and you want a slot port? 

I can't stand all the carpentry involved there, but for the exact same tune in the same box, you're slot port would be 1"x12" and 13" long.  And no, that one won't produce port noise either.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
cloak559 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

Oh.  I reread ur post and you want a slot port? 

I can't stand all the carpentry involved there, but for the exact same tune in the same box, you're slot port would be 1"x12" and 13" long.  And no, that one won't produce port noise either.

12 sqaure inches of port in a 2 cubic foot enclosure WILL produce port noise, I garentee it...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
mezzaricardo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  

Wow, very nice, man...

the only problem is that I am coming from my workplace (I´ve made the enclosure)

let me tell you what I did.

I considered the suggestions from cloak559 (I think he gave me one of the best explanations ever about slot port enclosure, I mean, without any complications).... he said that taking into account the port area I could obtain the port length (or I understood that), then my port height is 13.5 inches and the port width is 2 inches which = to 27sq. inches... And if he said that 30sq. inches = to 27.5 inches port length, then I made a three step operation and I deducted that my port length should be 25 inches.  (MEXICO; you gotta love it !!!, hahah 12w6v2 enclosure -- posted image.)

My enclosure is e a little bit more than 2.00 cubic feet, because I had to consider the slot port and the used space of the subwoofer.

Is a Wedge box, well, I introduced the subwoofer and it sounds really great, amazing. I think JL audio is one of the best subwoofers ever. and it is just 400 watts rms.

Not like other brands that indicates thousands of watts.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow so you can see my work.

Anyway, I am going to consider that valious help you just provided me.

Can you tell me your method to calculate the slot port?.... or is the same method from cloak559.

this is my msn mezzaricardo@hotmail.com

just in case you prefer to chat.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic