electrified interior components

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pyroguy 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

auex wrote:
Here is a question. Is an electrified fence meant to keep people out or our animals in/out?

Now that would depend on the location now wouldn't it? Of course a fence around your house would most likely be used to keep your animals in, but one around a supermax prison could be used in either direction.

Still, even if your yard was electrified for the sole purpose of keeping your pets in and you have signs around the yard stating the prescence of the electric fence, could somebody still sue you for zapping themselves even though they were warned by the signs? How much warning is required to persuade someone to not do something that might hurt them?

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

Speaking of fences...

We have to put fences around our property (just the swimming pool, really) so people can't sue us for them drowning in our pool. Even though they broke the law and trespassed to begin with.

I still say to put up a warning for the potential thieves. This should cover you.

Oops, I posted before I fininshed the end of the last post. A warning that is in plain view from the drivers' seat.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
buck_nekid 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
jmelton86 wrote:
This probably will do. When someone gets attacked by your dog for jumping over your fence when there is a 'Beware of Dog' sign posted every however many feet along the fence, they can't sue you for your dog attacking them.
Wrong in my state (Ohio) and in my old state (WV) A "Beware of dog" or a "Vicious Dog Present" is a admission that said dog is known to be mean. And if that dog bites someone whether they are on your property legally or not YOU LOSE. Once it was a little wiener dog and the owner had a cute little novelty sign "Beware attack hotdog on premises" Guess what the hotdog bit a little girl and guess who got paid?
As far as doing it to your car, seems like your pretty set in your ideas and will talk yourself into believing your in the right, so hey go ahead.
pyroguy 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

Buck,

I am not saying that I am right or wrong in implementing this system. I don't have the qualifications from a professional legal standpoint and at this point it is up to them to decide if this system is legal or not. This arguments have helped me to put toether a discussion packet that I can take to my city prosecutor, as well as local attournies, for further discussion.

It is not about what I think is wrong or right, it is how the Law dictates what is wrong or right. What takes higher prescidence? The human rights of the car thief? The protection of one's personal property? Do the laws regarding assualt supercede those of property security? We can argue either way, and Auex and I have if you have been keeping up with the discussion. I don't believe that Auex or myself are wrong or right - but needless to say the decision is not ours to make.

On a side-note this discussion has been an interesting social experiment. Undoubtedly if this system were to be implemented and I were to be incarcerated, then I would have to defend my case in front of a jury of my peers. I would expect that my peers would have the very same thoughts as those in this discussion thread with the same divisions of rational on what is justified and what is not. 

Thanks guys for all the input!

- Jesse

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
Why not just go with a removable steering wheel?????   No sense stealing it if it can't be driven, right????
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
If they jump your fence and get bitten by your dog (signs posted), isn't it the same as them getting cut on the barb-wire while jumping the fence?
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
buck_nekid 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2007 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
OK, not sure about the fence jumping getting injured thing, but I do know that if someone (friend, thief, grandmother, career criminal) gets injured on your property even while in the act of committing a crime they do have legal grounds to sue you, I would 'think' they would have a even greater chance of success if you had somehow caused it. I understand where your coming from on your car, I would think you best bet would be to get extra insurance coverage for the vehicle. I know from first hand knowledge that somethings are worth WAY more than what the insurance companies want to pay. So just do like I did and get it all documented of what the actual value is worth. I had to get documentation from GM service of what the LS6 with my combo of parts swapped in the car would be worth with parts and labor. So actually in the end I would be ahead if the car got jacked, but I would cry for days if it happened.
Of course when you goto the prosecutor he may agree with you and say go ahead, I know I have been given conflicting info before. I just say to make sure you find out for sure first and I certainly wouldn't do it in a lethal way (cap out of a tv power supply or some such thing like that)
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2007 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
This thread is like the energizer bunny......
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 18, 2007 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

OK, so say that you do this.

Someone breaks in to your car.

They are shocked by your coil voltage, which would most likely be above 30,000VAC

It is very doubtful that it will kill them, but I guarentee that it will upset them greatly.  So, you prevented them from stealing your car, but when you come back to the car, it is on fire, and totally destroyed. 

Or, they simply pop the hood, disconnect the battery, and do what they need to do.

Or, they just get a flatbed and tow the thing.

Kevin Pierson
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2007 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
I think he's got a point. I don't think it's worth getting sued over, unless posting a sign will suffice, 'cause if someone really wants it they Will get it.
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic