icon

2 jl w6 v2's underpowered?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
riniflex01 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so Im on my second amplifier. Its powering 2 JL W6 v2's. This is actually my third, the first was stolen. Anyways for a while the bass would cut out at high volumes, then moderate volumes, then almost all volumes. Also somtimes the bass would fade in and out as if i was messing with the bass controls. I have checked the ground wires remote wires, all connections are good. Took back to dealer they checked, all was good. Now heres the kicker (not the company), they send my amp to JL for service. They do a complete work up on it and say no problems. So the dealer fights for me and they send me a new amp. Just got it last week. The system was good for the first few days and now its fading in and out again. There is no cutting out though. Now here the thing about my truck, 2000 jimmy. The stock amp puts out only 105 amps, the fuse for the amp is 100 amps. Could this be the problem?? Could theh electrical system not be powerful enought to handle the sound system??
My two solutions that im toying with are H.O. alternator or an optima heavy duty battery. Not really feeling the capacitors because i believe i will need 4 for the 1000 watt amp. 1/2 farad per 250 watts, i think those where the increments, and not really sure if the battery will help either bleh...... 
you guys have any ideas???? HELP!!!!!!!!!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
First upgrade your big three and get a new battery and Alternator if necessary.
Caps are a waste of money...they will not help a weak electrical system...save your money
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2007 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

What amp is it?

What other power related issues are you having?  Headlight dimming? Dead batteries? Anything?

I can't imagine the shop that would send an amp in for service but allow you to have a charging system that isn't running the amp properly.  That is sort of the first thing I would check.

Have you taken a DMM and measured the voltage at the amp when this happens?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
i'm wondering if the protection light comes on. if you are using a 1000/1 the amp is only stable to 1.5ohms. What impedance are your woofers?
Also, when the slash amps go into thermal protection, they will 'roll back' power, which could be the 'fading' you are hearing
riniflex01 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

sorry i forgot to put that in my post, its a jl 1000/1 amp, its a slash series amp.  I dont think the thermal protection light ever came on.  I have drove around with the back seat down for a while with the rear view pointed right at the amp so i can see if the low pwer light or any other light came on, but it never did but it does fade at times.  Why do u say the amp in only stable at 1.5 ohms??  The w6 v2's are 4 ohms.  I spoke with the dealer said it was a good amp for those subs. 

My head lights always dimmed, mostly at idle, somtimes when im really banging it when im driving also the light dim a little and the batt gauge get that tick in it when the bass hits.  The battery has been solid.  Ive never checked the voltage at the amp when this happend.........................

riniflex01 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

Also the bass fades in and out randomly, not only after its been playing for a while so i dont think its the thermal alarm

also the amp is brand new, 2nd one, they both did that, actually third one.  The first one was stolen about 2 years ago and that one did the fade thing also, once in a while.................i really think its gotta be my car, ive known the dealer for a while and have given him a lot of business, im pretty sure he knows his stuff

riniflex01 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

here are the specs from JL.com

its good from 1.5-4 ohms

1000/1 Class D Monoblock Subwoofer Amplifier Specifications:
 1000/1
Rated Power:1000 W RMS @ 1.5 ohm - 4 ohm (11V-14.5V)
THD at Rated Power:<0.05% @ 4 ohm
S/N Ratio:>95dB below rated power (A-weighted, 20 Hz - 20 kHz noise bandwidth)
Frequency Response:5 Hz - 200 Hz (+0, -1dB)
Damping Factor:>500 @ 4 ohm / 50 Hz
Input Range:Switchable from 200mV-2V RMS to 800mV-8V RMS
Dimensions (L x W x H):19.70 in. x 9.25 in. x 2.36 in.
500 mm x 235 mm x 60 mm

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

That amplifier is the perfect match for those subs.  They are wired for a 4-ohm load... if they were wired at 1-ohm the amp wouldn't turn on at all.

Anyway, it does sound like a voltage issue.  To get your system up and running properly you certainly have some work ahead of you. 

Your battery is also probably dead... pushing that 1000/1 for any length of time should fry a SLI battery in no time flat.  I understand it starts your car and turns your lights on, but you'll find any sort of load and the voltage collapses in no time at all.

Read Darth Yohn's sticky "Upgrading your Big 3" at the top of the topic list in the forum.  This is your first upgrade.  Do not proceed with spending any more money until you do this okay?

Most people here will tell you to get a HO alternator...  since you have a GMC, that should be easy to get a quality HO alt for, this might be a good move for you.  Normally I only recommend HO alts when they are purchased from a company like Stinger.. but Mechman and a few others actually do make quality rewound GM replacement alternators.  This is certainly an avenue of exploration open to you.

I recommend an Optima Yellow, with the above mentioned 'big 3' upgrade and see if that doesn't work out your problem. 

Of course, if you've spent so much money at the dealer, why don't you take it back to them and see if they'll run a DMM over the battery terminals while this happens so you can confirm for yourself whether or not your problems are voltage related.  Chck the voltage at the battery terminals.  If the problem is your car, the voltage will drop below 11v while the amp is cutting out.  This should have been the first thing your dealer did... not box up the amp and mail it to JL.  That's a ridiculous way to solve your problem. 

Is the dealer an actual shop or maybe like a CarToys?  If they're selling more cellphones than amps your in the wrong place.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
riniflex01 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

well the amp isnt cutting out anymore since i got the new amp its just been fading in and out somtimes randomly.  Thats why this is confusing me, none of the warning lights on the amp turn on.  Its just fading, so wierd.............

This is the 2rd time i brought it to the dealer, the first time the fixed the ground (which i fixed and then it stripped the metal again) But the put a self anchoring tap and ive checked the ground a few time, its still solid.  It worked for a while after that then it started doing it again.........supposedly they checked everything, then sent it to JL..........o well this weekend im gonna check all the wires maybe see what the deal is with the big three, scope it out see how much work it is..........

anyone ever experience anything like this "fading" before???

the battery seams like it might be shot somtimes, with the fan on full blast it drops the voltage a little, but no way down to 11.  Everything does get dim tho.     I  think i had it at 11.2 once before with the system BLASTING, but that was on the gauge thats in the radio which isnt truly accurate.  Another thing is i havnt had the system in for a while i guess the batt could look strong riht now caus of that????

im gonna ride around with the back seat down see if any warning lights come on when it fades.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2007 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

Don't forget to look at the road ahead occasionally!  2 jl w6 v2's underpowered? -- posted image.

Good post, sedate.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic