Posted: April 13, 2007 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

haha yeah i will

hopefully ill figure somthing out soon

im gonna check out the big 3 this weekend, ill let u know how it goes

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2007 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
You still havn't said how your subs are wired. If it sees a 1 ohm load the amp will turn on but only at a lower volume level. This is how JL's protection circuit works.
There is no such thing as free installation!
riniflex01 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2007 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

im not sure its the pro wedge from JL audio, its a 1000 watt amp and the speakers only take 400 watt rms, so im guess they are wired in series?

the speakers specifiacations say they are 4 ohms, i dont know how that w wiring combinatorks tho if it changes with different wiring combinations, but i havnt changed it from the stock configuration.  There is only one input on the box........

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2007 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
Either way you NEED to do the big 3 with 2 gauge , or 0/1 gauge wire. The factory ground on those trucks are sub par right from day one, add a few years and they just plainly suck. Now, there is no doubt about it that you need a higher output alternator and a dry cell battery, you have a monster amp there that can and will draw more then your factory alternator can ever output. Once you take care of the big 3, alternator, and battery you system will finally be running how it should. Im surprised you haven't fried anything yet with that setup.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2007 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
The pro wedge IS wired in series. Take Alpine Guy's advice.
There is no such thing as free installation!
riniflex01 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2007 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

yeah ithought it was wired in series

ps......im on my third alternator---------haha, i guess thats why

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2007 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

The wiring of the subs is largely irrelvant.  The voice coils of each sub are wired in series, then the subs are wired together in parallel, to produce a system impedence of 4-ohms.

Anyway, like Alpine Guy said, riniflex01, you are seriously overrunning your stock charging system, and the statement that you will "check out the 'big 3' and see how much work it is" is very strange indeed, considering how expensive alternators and JL repair bills are. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
mikel714 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

I have the same problem. Some days my bass hits hard and some days it's as if the levels were turned down and i have to put up my bass settings up on my HU.

I have a 01' Tahoe - and im running 3 JL 12W6-D6 wired in series/parallel off a MTX 2300x amp at 4ohm's bridged. I have a Pioneer DEH-p490IB with stock front speakers, stock rear door speakers hooked up to the factory amp. The factory amp is being turned on through the remote lead from the HU as well as the MTX.

The funny thing is, I recently installed the pioneer deck and thats when this started. Before this I had the factory HU and it would work fine. Actually it would hit harder with the factory HU and im positive the Pioneer has to sound better. I'm pretty sure I wired everything correctly because I bought the wiring harness for the deck. I've installed systems before and never had this weird problem. Im wondering if it's my battery, alternator, or a phase, ohm's problem.

Someone help me out.

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
if nothing changed but the radio, it is most likely a radio setting. Or it could be that it has a lower voltage preout than you got when using the LOC and factory HU. Are you using the crossovers on the amp or the HU?
mikel714 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

The HU has 4 volt pre-outs i dont know how many volts the LOC is. The LOC is still connected though, just not using it.(can this be the problem?)

I have the crossover on the amp set to LP, and on the HU I don't think  you can turn off the crossover features, you can only turn off it's Sub pre-out which is set at 80.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic