icon

remote start, 97 toyota avalon

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zirconx 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a remote starter in my 97 Toyota Avalon over the weekend. It worked great until I tried to remote start it at lunch today - the factory alarm went off!
This page https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1995-97&make=Toyota&model=Avalon&ID=2030&type=Alarm
says "Factory Disarm:     Blue/White (-)      And Blue (-) Driver's Kick Panel. Diode Isolate."
Can someone help explain this? Why Blue/White *AND* Blue? Are there two wires that must be triggered? Why must a diode be used, and how? ( inline with the neg trigger from the remote start, or cut the disarm wire and insert diode?)
I have no idea where I'd find the Blue/White disarm wire, there are probably 100 wires in the kick panel. And originally I was looking for a Blue/White wire as the unlock trigger (as bulldogsecurity.com said), and couldn't find any blue/white wire that went negative on door unlock.
Hmmm maybe I should just hook the remote start disarm wire to the unlock wire? Because I think unlocking the doors probably disarms the alarm.
Thanks for any help.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
DEI does not list a factory alarm disarm, it states that the alarm arms and disarms with lock and unlock. So as you have already stated, use your fad output to unlock then relock after started. Not sure what make and model your starter is, but there should be some type of pulse after start that would relock once remote started.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
I believe A single pulse to the lock wire will dis arm without unlocking, Also you can groud the keysense wire before remote start.
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
pitoaudiovisual 
Copper - Posts: 388
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of remote start did you install. Some remote starts come with a status wire so when the remote start is activated it send either a negative or positive to the wire.. You can install that wire to the blue and white and blue and put a diode so that the power doesnt go in reverse just one way..
Confidence is the key to any project!!
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
Bnluis - no, it only takes a single pulse to unlock or lock.
The RS is a "Car and Driver" brand, which is actually a BullDog. I know it has a factory disarm output, but I'm unsure if it has another output thats triggered after the car starts. I'll check.
Bnluis 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
O k so try this set factory alarm on, wait about 2 minutes , while sitting inside the car stick the key in the ignition, but don't turn it, then remote start the car, see if the factory alarm goes off. If not then that is your answer. the alarm will disarm if it sees keysense in. Find the status output of your remote start anc connect to kysense wire in the car.
Luis
Sound Waves
Bnluis 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2007 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

I have done many of this cars in those days and a few here and there now. Go to the Drivers kick panel, You will find a Blue / YELLOW wire( unlock one pulse disarms, 2 pulse unlocks doors) the is the wire that connects to the Key slot on the Outside of the door. If you notice that when you use the car key to open the door mannually if you turn it once it only opens the drivers door , but if u turn it twice it opens the rest of the doors?

Keep us posted

Luis
Sound Waves
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
I wasn't able to look at it last night, but this morning I did notice that I can't even unlock the doors with the remote after the alarm has armed. It did not set the alarm off though, so basically I think the car disables the power locks after the alarm arms?
I will try to get in to it tonight and look for the blue / YELLOW disarm wire. I imagine its in the same loom as the lock/unlock wires?
Bnluis 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Also keep in mind that the Factory toyota remotes won't work, while the car is running. You will need to use the key to get in.
Luis
Sound Waves
zirconx 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
BNLUIS wrote:
Also keep in mind that the Factory toyota remotes won't work, while the car is running. You will need to use the key to get in.
Wow I don't like that. I'm putting this car up for sale soon so it doesn't matter, but how would you get around that? I think I had found a larger wire that was activated (can't remember + or -) when I cycled the locks by hand. I imagine you could use a relay and hook into that wire to get around this 'feature'?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic