icon

99 cadillac seville strange wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ikillrinst 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

I just recently bought my wife a 99 seville (not the bose system, or possibly they did not reinstall the biose for the sale).. just noticed the door speakers are not working...

took a peek inside the door panel and i see a bright red metallic looking crossover, it's kind of round and looks like a fan.. So i am guessing it has components in the doors..

next i looked in the trunk and found a harness (not factory) of about 20 wires connected to a plug that looks like it would plug into the back of the radio

So next i looked behind the dash and found the other end of this plug just laying there.. anyone know what this is? It lokks like it is an extension so the radio could be mounted in the trunk????

I am thinking it has to do with none of my door speakers working... any help would be greatly appreciated, I want to take advantage of the next 3 days and get it all working while the weather is nice...

Here are some pictures of the plug in the trunk

99 cadillac seville strange wires -- posted image.

99 cadillac seville strange wires -- posted image.

Thanks

Mike

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
i think the harness for the bose amplifiers is put into every car despite it having the bose system or not. did you pull one of the speakers out and make sure that they are functional? from behind the radio you should find the same speaker wire colors that you found behind the speaker, make sure they are all connected properly
Ikillrinst 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
the harness isn't factory.. it is spliced with butt connectors on both ends, behind the radio and in the trunk.. will check the wires in the doors... still need help on this harness though.. ANYONE???
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
it looks like the harnesses found in the Buicks and some other GM products I've seen. Maybe someone had a factory radio from another GM vehicle in it?
pss5075104 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
the harness is a 71-2001 32 pin gm reverse harness. they had a aftermarket deck in the car and had to relocate the factory to the trunk.
D
MECP First Class Certified Installer.
Nothing is impossable, it's just more expensive.
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
Makes me wonder if they tapped into the factory wiring to hook up an aftermarket stereo and amps. I'm just guessing this based off how a shop did my explorer. Aftermarket plug behind the radio, and had one behind a trim panel in the back that tied into the factory speaker wiring. I know in my explorer all i had to do was hook the plug in the back back up to what I assume was a factory amp that was close by and all my doors speakers started working again. Don't know if this is the same scenerio or not, but worth looking around to see. I'm sure one of the experienced installers on here can help better.
Ikillrinst 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

Fosgate3,

why would you need to hook up the factory radio in the trunk if you changed the head unit upfront? my factory doors must be tapped into this reverse harness? and no longer in the original harness??

Fosgate3 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2007 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know unless for whatever reason something in the car needed the radio intact in order for it to work... kinda like the 2000 model civics do to make the keyless work. I think sunfires did something like that??? off hand I cant think of any reason but then again, i wasnt the one who made the suggestion. I just said the harness looks similar to ones I've seen in buiks or something.
Ikillrinst 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
oh .. sorry Fosgate. lol i guess i should have addressed this to  "pss5075104" any idea why this harness is there and how i get my door speakers back online??
Fosgate3 
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  

And it's just the door speakers out, right? the rear deck speakers are doing fine? In that case, you could check the continuity between the speaker and dash to make sure your speaker wire isn't broken or otherwise not connected. If you are certain that there isnt an amp or anything in between the speaker and the dash, you can even "pop" the speakers with a battery. You may want to check the wiring at the speaker to see if its factory or not. If there's an amp the colors may be different but typically, you'll have biege/grey for the FLeft and lt.GREEN/ dk.green  for the FRight. I'd be very critical if there are other colors than that. You may have to physically trace the wires however, for me, I find it easier to just run new wires from the doors to the dash and be done with it.

As far as why the harness is in there, I dont have a clue. If you are putting an aftermarket radio in it, I wouldnt worry too much with it, just grab your 12v constant, switch and ground and anything else you need and run with it.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic