icon

99 cadillac seville strange wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ikillrinst 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2007 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
behind the radio i find the colors you mention for the left front... but when i open the door panel, the colors are lt blue and dark blue, but it is the factory wires, they added compnents in the doors and used the factory wires.. but why are they different colors... I think I'm gonna have to bring it to someone... Anyone in Jackson NJ, or know anyone here in Ocean County NJ???
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2007 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

Can you pop the speakers from the dash? To do so, take any battery (a typical AA will do) and with the speaker connected, touch one of the two speaker wires to the + of the battery and the other speaker wire to the - of the battery. You can use additional wire to jump to the harness or whatever it takes to connect the wiring to the battery. Incidently, this is a good way of establishing polarity of the speaker: if you do this and the speaker goes out, then whatever wire you have touching the + side of the battery is the wire that's leading to the positive terminal of the speaker.

So, I'd check that to begin with. If you can pop the speakers from the dash then you have a connection running from the dash to the speakers. If you cant, then the connection is broken somewhere or feeding into a factory amp that you may not know about. That's something else to consider: if whoever it was that did this was willing to change out the harness in the car, what's to say that the person didn't do something silly like try to add a bose amp or something. I seriously doubt that's the case but it's something to consider.

Normally under many circumstances, the speaker wires from the dash will usually go into a factory plug in each kick panel. The plug will connect the wiring from the radio (traveling through the dash to the kick) to the wiring in the door (traveling from the kick to the speaker in the door, through the door jamb). So, if nothing is changed from the dash to the kick, then the wiring at this plug will have the same colors as what's in the dash. You can also double check this by using a digital multimeter and checking the continuity between that plug and the dash. If you read something close to 0.0 ohms (0.5 something in that range), then you are doing great. Naturally, the wiring is a different color at the kick, then something  has changed in the dash. Keep in mind that regardless if there's a plug or not, there is some method of the wiring going from the kick to the door. I have yet to see this happen without a plug of some sorts.

Even if you can or cant pop the speakers or whatever, it is so remarkably simple to run wires in the car... it just takes a little time and patience. I'd run minimum 16 gauge wire, and run through the door jamb (there's info in this site about doing this--it's not hard). Run the wire from inside the door, probably leaving around a good 12 to 16 inches in the door to work with... go from there, through the jamb, under the dash to the back of the radio. Sometimes the area that houses the radio is encased in plastic making it difficult to run wires to that point... a Dremel works well on this (hey! it's just plastic!)--just make sure you dont cut through a wire or something (it's highly likely you wont). Do this for both doors and you are done. It's probably an hour job or so, maybe an hour and a half and it will cost you all of $10 for wire, if that much! So, you go into it saving a good $40 to $60. I wouldnt throw the money away on getting someone else to do a job that you can do!

It's so worth considering. At any rate, start with popping the speakers. Look for the plug in the kick. Test continuity from the dash to kick--if you have continuity, go from the kick to the door; if you dont, trace or rewire from the kick to the dash. If all this reveals nothing, run new wires. Again, it's easy, it's simple, and something you can do for considerably cheaper.

Ikillrinst 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Fosgate3, I am no newbie when it comes to installing stereo systems.. I just don't know the caddy and reall wanted it to work on it's own natural ability... I will try popping the speakers, I have a 9 volt already with leads that i have used in the past.... but if all else fails I will just run new wires to all 4 doors... All 4 doors not working leads me to believe the harness is tapped somewhere.. This weekend I will tear it apart and trace everything and let you know how i made out...

Thanks for all your time and help, it is greatly appreciated..

I'll let you know what happens as it unfolds..

Mike

soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
DUH, that harness you found is a relocation harness used to retain the factory door chime, onstar,etc. the factory radio is relocated to the trunk so certain vehicle functions are retained. someone installed a "system" in the vehicle then removed most of it when they got rid of it. And, THERE IS A FACTORY AMP in that car, you cannot just run wires fron the head unit to the speakers!
Ikillrinst 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2007 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
Soultinter, Do you know where i need to look to reconnect the speaker wires to the original harness...???
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  

not really, you'd be surprised at how much some installers can hack up a car doing a "rewire". The history of your car probably goes something like this, cust wants to upgrade the factory system so the shop yanks the factory radio and use the relocation harness to put fact radio in trunk to retain data functions,RAP circuit, door chimes etc. they then add an aftermarket radio w a 4 channel amp for the interiors, maybe running new wires to the front component set they installed in the front doors and maybe the new back speakers, along w an amp and sub in trunk. so when they get rid of the car they remove MOST of the system and leave some of it in. Lazy or whatever. So you are going to have to pop the door panels and check for remnants of the factory wires, remove the crossover, and try to get everything back to factory. worst case is get a vehicle wiring schematic and locate the factory amp (probably behind back seat or over/under rear deck) and identify the affected speaker outputs and run new wires or fix breaks. You might want to get to the amp anyways to see if they hacked it up, which I wouldn't be surprised. You probably could use the component left in the front, just not the crossover b cause the amp is crossed over internally.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic