icon

loud whine, local audio shop can't fix.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
econobox 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
My car is a 1994 Honda Civic EX Four door.
I have PolkMomo MMc6500 components front and rear runnning off of a Rockford Fosgate Punch 450.4 amp. Signal is sent from a Pioneer 7800MP.
The whine changes with the RPMs and it also clicks when the brake pedal is depressed or the turn signals are on.
The RCAs are brand new from Stinger and go down the driver side of the car. The amp uses a 4 gauge power down the passenger side.
I cannot find any ground loops and I have sent both the amp and head unit back to the manufacturer to be repaired. A local audio shop looked at my car and tryed to determine a problem but found none. The whine went away when we bench tested the system in their shop.
Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
check the water levels in your battery....we had the same issue in our civic, battery was at the end of its life, and the system did all kinds of wacky stuff and noises
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
If the sound system is installed properly and none of the components are faulty, the issue is coming from the car.  Likely sources include the ignition timing system, the ECU, the spark plugs and wires, the distributor, the battery, etc.  Also, did you upgrade your "big 3"?  You may have a bad engine ground strap - indeed, that's what I'd check first in a 13 year old car.
Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
The issue is the cd player and it's crappy internal ground circuit design. Try a different cd player, cough, Eclipse, cough and retest the system again. If you unplug the rca's from the amp and the noise goes away, then you do indeed have a loop.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
econobox 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
I have upgraded and checked every ground in the car. The battery is brand new, as is the alternator. It seems the head unit has a flaw in the design of the RCA grounds and the way it is fused so I'm gonna give it a go at repairing it. I personally like Pioneer HUs more than the Eclipse offerings so I'm gonna stick with it, on top of that it was pretty expensive.
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Try directly grounding the chassis of the CD player. When you say "Grounding of the RCA's", I hope you're not using some expensive p.o.s. RCA cable. Try a simple shielded cable, and make sure it doesn't run along side any power wires - after market or factory. Did you use a DMM to check the grounds?
econobox 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
I'm talking about the cicuits for the RCAs inside of the HU. Pioneer put a fuse on them. I am using Stinger 4 channel shielded RCAs.
blueextc 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

I would also suggest eliminating the rca's from the list of possible culprits by running a different set (cheapos will do fine) from the radio directly to the amplifier in back of the car. Dangling in mid-air right thru the center of the vehicle so there is no possibility of picking up inducted interference. If your whine goes away, it is the RCA's. If not, you can quickly take them off the items to check.

Next, be sure your ground is clean, and also away from other car components. Most people just use available bolts (ie. seatbelt bolts etc) but no ground is better than on you make on your own for 100% metal to metal contact. You can make a simple noise sniffer from a radio shack mini amplifier and a tape deck head. If you run the head over the ground when your system is picking up the noises, you'll know it is the source, and can also use the sniffer to check other grounding points for noise. I made my sniffer about 10 years ago, but im sure its available on the internet somewhere.

The next way to eliminate the amplifier. If you have it screwed directly yo the metal of the car, put it on wood. If there is a grounded point on the interior of the amplifier, it will cause a not-so-hot ground which could be a problem. To eliminate the amplifier from the noisemaking, get some rca couplers and a new set of rca cables. Unplug your amplifier, and using the couplers, attach the new rca to a friends vehicle amplifier thats known not to have the noise. So his system will be using your signal. Test for noise. If it's present, the problem is before the amplifier. If it is NOT present reverse the RCAs, and have him send HIS Signal to your car. If the noise is not present the problem is at the amplifier.

If you are using the factory ground from the radio.... change it. Make your own, as the wire is all congested and zig-zagging behind the dash.

Lastly, if your RCAs are going down the driver's side, this is where the fuse panel is located, and is a HUGE source of inducted noise. If you try the first idea, and string a new RCA down the middle of the vehicle, then take the extra 5 minutes and remove the drivers seat so you can run the RCA down the center of the vehicle and avoid the computers/fuse blocks altogether.

There are so many possibilities, just start with eliminating the head unit or amplifier, and go from there.

Hope you find the problem. inducted noise SUCKS!!

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
you could get RCA out from an ipod or something and then eliminate the HU as the problem. I had a 7800MP for a while and had noise, but nothing this bad.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
Where do you have the amp mounted?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic